Chapter 8

It's been a day since I figured it out. Since I found a traitor in my presence. Zach has been so calm and normal, why I haven't confronted him I couldn't tell you why. My mind has been driving me crazy . I am so paranoid that Zach might actually kill one of us. The way he just acts normal is scary. Amber, Jack, and I haven't spoken to him since he threw the rock at Jack. It is a full moon tonight so I am totally taking night duty. I just finished digging myself a sand hole. It is either for relaxation or Zach's dead body. Haven't decided.

"Hey Nixie," It was Amber I open my eyes and looked up out of my hole. Coral was with her.

"Hi," I lean back and close my eyes again "if you want me to build you one this took me all day I would like to use up the rest of daylight relaxing, so tough luck."

"No, that's not what we want. We told Hunter to go on night duty while we go into this pool I found." Coral said, looking happy and excited. I open one eye and look at them.

"I'm listening," my one eye open made Amber laugh a little.

"It is connected to the ocean but it's on the coast line an hour down, and we have about thirty minutes till moon rise so wanna go?

"Uh, yeah, sounds fun." I stand up dusting off sand that stuck to my body. "Let me grab some things first." I walked off to the tent. While I was in there I grabbed a towel and goggles and placed them into my side bag, I then realized how cold ocean water can get. I put on my big black furry robe, and some grey sweats. I slipped on my flip flops, and walked out side. Amber laughed once she saw me.

"Why are you wearing that?" She said in between each laugh

"Oh you just wait it will be freezing and I am not sharing." I said smiling.

"Oh yes you will, it's in your nature to be nice" A voice said from behind me. I turn around. Zach. "I mean I am still alive aren't I." he said with a sneer.

I lean in towards his ear and say in a light whisper "Only because there are witnesses." I back away with the most evil smile I can manage. I laugh as the smirk disappeared from his face. "Come on girls, lets go" The smile on Amber's face was the same as mine. Coral was still, staring at his face. I walked back and tugged on her shoulder "Come on it was just a joke." She snaps out of it and walks ahead of us trying to change the subject.

We walk along the coast line with only our flashlights shining the way. "So Nixie," Amber starts "What's going on between you and my brother?" She raises her eyebrows in a way that says she isn't going to give up on the subject.

"Nothing is," Which is true because nothing is going to happen.

"Uh-huh sure nothing is, you spending all hours of the night together" Coral chimes in.

"My goodness girls, nothing will happen or has happened, he is a-," I pause not knowing what to call him or how i feel about him, "Okay fine he isn't the self-obsessed player I thought he was. Now that is all that has changed. Now Coral where is this pool?" There smiles were wider than the euphrates river. I sigh and just walk on, I hear them whispering behind me, but I can't figure out what they are saying. Until I fall.

"Nixie!" They both scream.

I slipped on a wet rock and fell onto a big hard patch on sand in a whole in the ground. My surroundings were wet and dark, above me was this big whole it looked like a crater. At the top of the crater was Amber, and Coral peering over me. "I'm okay, I think" Something throbs on my arm, but I will just let that be

"Well, it looks like you found it." Coral said nodding her head to something behind me I look. It's beautiful. A glorious light blue hole about 9ft by 10ft wide in a round circle about the same dimensions of the moon from the angle we view here on earth. There are little ripples that come in and out meaning the level of the water rises and falls. It's connected to the ocean. Before I know what I am doing I took of my dry clothes and dove straight into the water. The water isn't as cold as I thought it's more of a lukewarm then an ice cold. It feels nice on my skin. It is like the feeling when you walk into your house after a cold snow day and your mom has a cup of hot coco ready for you and you sit there wrapped up in a warm blanket drinking hot chocolate watching your favorite show. Not knowing that snow is pouring outside onto you only there and then matters being warm and safe.

Not long after I got in the others followed. We swam in the water, we chillaxed, we looked up at the stars. We talked, the water just seemed to welcome us and we had no problem with that. "Coral, what do you want to be when you grow up?" I ask

"You shouldn't have asked." Amber says giving a soft smile

"Well, what I want to be is maybe a Fashion artist who sings as her side job, and I create my own outfits, I would also be the best dressed person in the world and make it to the best on the red carpet, or-" Coral explains

"Or be on the cover of Fashion weekly." Amber finishes, "Why did you ask Nixie I thought you knew?"

"I did, I was just bored and I love what she wants to be." I give a little laugh at the end. I look up at the moon it's almost right over us. I sigh and look up at the moon. As Coral and Amber chat about stuff that was going on back home. The moon is right above us now, and the entire pool seems to glow. Something bubbles at my feet I look down and right in the middle a stream of air seems to be flowing from out of nowhere. I glide into the middle and the others did the same, we all look up at the moon and these yellow flashing light that seem to look like lightning bugs glow above us. They don't seem like bugs but more like bubbles that are flowing from the moon and into us. All I can do is stare up into the moon's light. It's like I have been hypnotized. I feel a sudden lift to my body, its like something is being taken and given at the same time. Once the moon has passed, i can move again.

"That was weird." I said still unsure of what just happened.

"No kidding," Amber said "Coral next time we come here bring some bug spray."

"Those didn't look like bugs to me," Coral said looking back up at the moon "They looked like bubbles."

"Hey, let's just forget it. I wanna talk about something else." Amber said with a sneaky grin. Oh no. "Coral tell me how did the kiss feel?"

"Kiss what Kiss?" I said, what had happened while i was busy figuring out Zach's true intentions

"You didn't tell her?"

"Tell me what" I am in complete confusion right now

"Coral and Zach Kissed under the moonlight while you and my brother were talking last night, and now i want details." Amber said, my jaw dropped. How could she not tell me about this.

I look at Coral her face so red, I can't be mad at her. Even though I haven't told her about Zach precisely, so I can't really be mad at her. Though, I can be a girl.

"Coral why didn't you tell me," I purposely made it sound like I sucked in some helium. She laughed at that. That all I ever want to do make people happy. I know its hard to believe, but I just put on the whole tough girl act to keep me safe. Safe from problems, safe from everything that could go wrong. I might take things a little too far when it comes to hideing my feelings.

"Okay," Coral said her face still blushing then she explained it. Her feeling for him were actually mutual. She explained what the kiss meant. Bleh. It was the longest walk back ever. I never really thought about that night. Until morning.

I woke up late. I heard the boys chatting , but I didn't hear the girls. My body didn't want me to move. My mind was screaming at my to get up. I was still in my swimsuit. I also had bedhead. After being with the same people for two weeks I guess you don't care anymore because I just walked out of bed and straight to the others. They didn't seem to notice my arrival so I literally plopped onto the sand and stared up into the sky. I closed my eyes because i was relaxed finally.

"Nixie?" Jack said judging by the shadow that covered my face He was right above me.

"Yes?"

"What are you doing?"

"Relaxing before my morning swim."

"Swim!" I heard Amber say from behind me. I sat up and looked up at the tall Jack and the also tall Amber. "Can I join, as well as Amber?"

"Really? You never want to swim in the morning."

"Uh, Nixie it's 2 o'clock" I look at him with a weird look

"Oh no," I stand up and run into the water. I hear Amber shout for coral behind me. Why I only swim in the morning I don't know. As soon as I dive in I feel refreshed. Then something weird happens. I feel tingles down my legs and up my body. Its life my foot fell asleep but in my whole body, but it only lasts seconds. Then I feel different. I look down, and freeze.