Chapter 11

September 7, 1949

I am a mermaid, I am officially saying it and it is such a thrill.. Edward actually cares for me so that is what is probably the best news, because i like him too. I never realized it before but i really do. Tomorrow we are going home and it is so exciting. As you know i am writing everything that is going on here.  I am in my tent and something just landed outside. I don't wanna look yet, I want to  document what I hear first. I heard a gunshot and a scream.  Someone just yelled "Find the girls. I know it's silly writing this but it might be important. "Two down one to go, wheres Alice?" Now that's my cue to run. Okay I ran Edward, and the other boys are dead. Their dead. I am hiding in the woods. If they send six more people to this island I am hoping this helps. Get off the island. I won't be able to hide for long. Goodbye

                Last message from

                        Alice Brown.

I read the diary to help pass the time. I regret it. The boys died. Girls taken. That confirms Zach's story. We aren't getting off this island tomorrow. If we are supposed to leave tomorrow. We are getting taken today.

The storm had lasted all night. By the time it was gone I couldn't bare to move. The sound of the rain on top of the tent had kept me up, and the others too I heard them whispering to each other. Nobody asked me to join them, nobody stopped to see if I was alright. No one even bothered to say my name loud enough for me to hear at least. By the time the rain had stopped i walked outside past the other, who had finally got to sleep. The sight of everything was unbearable. The fire pit filled with sand, all our clothes were scattered along the beach, and all our supplies were all either lost at sea or along the soaked logs. Tree branches and leave were everywhere it looked as if a hurricane passed through. I looked at the ocean shore line and gasped. There were poles and wires sticking out of the sand.

"Nixie?" A tired voice said behind me.

A turned around tears swelling up in my eye, Jack was there looking around at the mess I made. I did this.

"I-I'm sorry" Then I bolted into the sea. Avoiding all the poles and wire that stuck out i swam out until I saw some schools of fish and stopped. I looked around. The beautiful vibrant coral was all around me. Schools of tiny fish swam around me. I saw seahorses, stingrays everything looked so peaceful here. LIttle did they know that with one focused thought i could wipe them out. That though stayed in my mind for a second. Then something shiny caught my eye. I swam torda a crevasse in the coral and picked up a small necklace thing. I recognized it immediately, it was Jacks. He wore it everywhere, to football games, to school. He rarely took it off. It was a red ruby stone wrapped around a black string that hung along a black twisted leather rope. I held on to the necklace and swam to what I believed to be the direction of the island. Instead of going on hore and facing them I got so scared I swam to the pool. The creepy one on the side of the island. I found the entrance while I was looking for shells, just to keep my mind busy.

I sat on the step in the water my blue tail skimming the water. That's when I let them out, the tears, the sorrow the regret. Nothing I ever do was right. I thought about how long I have been away from my parents, how a government is supposed to take me away today.... today . I snapped my head back into where it should be. I quickly pulled myself out of the water. I used my heating powers to dry my tail off, after thirty seconds my tail disappeared and my legs replaced them. I grabbed Jack's necklace and ran to camp, It was hard to find my way back I got lost in twists and turns, but I ended up back at the beach. I looked up to find Zach and Coral picking up the food on the beach, Amber and hunter finding tools, and Jack collecting the clothes. I walked up to them in shame.