twenty-two

song tip: set free - veorra

-

they walked back to iwaizumi's apartment once again, bumping shoulders gently occasionally. it was as if their forced contact brought them closer together, which made iwaizumi feel great.

iwaizumi unlocked the door for them, sighing contently at the warmth of being inside. oikawa slipped his shoes and coat off timidly, setting them back.

"still want to finish dinner?" iwaizumi asked, looking at him expectantly.

"can we have a couch dinner? i kind of just want to cuddle under a warm blanket right now," oikawa admitted shyly, scratching the back of his neck.

"sure we can," iwaizumi smiled. he turned to walk to the dining room, skillfully grabbing their plates, bowls and chopsticks.

"someone's been practicing," oikawa smiled, taking the water pitcher and their glasses.

"i was a waiter before college," iwaizumi replied, a faint smile on his lips as memories came back. "i had a few really good friends there, they taught me some tricks."

"it's weird to think you already went to college," oikawa chuckled, setting everything down on the coffee table. "and that while i was still in elementary school." iwaizumi sat down silently. oikawa realized he made a mistake.

"hajime, i didn—"

"it's okay," he replied calmly. "i just need to get used to the idea. that when i was in middle school, you were only learning how to walk." he looked at oikawa. "it's scary. you're still so young, you have so much to learn and experience."

"not that much," oikawa replied. "i lived through my college years when i was still in middle school. i already went drinking, hooked up, and moved in with my boyfriend. i discovered yesterday that i almost got married too. you don't need to wait for me, iwa-chan. i'm already ahead."

"you're still a teenager," iwaizumi replied sadly. "look, i trust you, but what if we disagree on things? i can handle people your age in a classroom, but they respect me in a different way than you do. i don't want you to repeat those mistakes."

"you think i don't respect you?"

"not as an elder. more as a friend. as a... partner, if you will."

"hajime, i promise you," oikawa said, taking his hands in his own, "i take great pride in being here with you. i not only respect but admire you. you're strong and sensible." he bit his lip. "the first time i saw you, i saw you were strong. and disciplined. i feared it back then. but now i've come to love that about you. so please take my word for it when i say i do respect you, and that i'll listen to your advice, okay?"

"okay," iwaizumi sighed, relaxing his hands in oikawa's. "i believe you." he smiled at him. "thanks for keeping his lonely old man company, by the way."

"anytime," oikawa replied with a toothy grin. iwaizumi felt his heart jolt, and he blushed slightly.

"let's eat," he muttered, flustered at how cute the other boy was.

they both smiled as oikawa's head rested on iwaizumi's shoulder.

-

"oikawa!" yaku exclaimed angrily as the brunet entered the classroom. "where have you been?!"

"don't worry!" oikawa laughed. "we just had to adjust my housing situation. did you know trains are way cuter than buses?"

"you idiot, i was worried," yaku scolded him, smacking him over the head gently.