2

It wasn't until nine p.m when I finally got home. I dropped Tobias off at my apartment, before deciding I would have enough time to drive to Misses and Mister Johnson's old house in order to pick up Tobias' stuff. This dog has more toys and blankets than I have, making it really difficult for me to drive.

I didn't want to come back again, because the distance between my apartment and their house is an hour drive. I had to squirm myself into my car seat, but at least I got all of his things, even though I was about to throw away this annoying plastic bone, that kept making those horrible high noises, whenever I took a turn.

"So, Tobias. How about a little snack?" I ask as soon as I took a little break from unpacking his stuff and found his food. Thank god it's a huge bag of dry food, so I don't have to buy food for at least another weak. Even though I was able to pay my bills and taxes and even got some spare money for food and clothes before Tobias arrived, I wouldn't call myself wealthy.

In fact, I'm lucky that I got this apartment. An apartment this big, would normally cost at least a hundred bucks more than I already pay monthly. But because I decided to move here, even though I knew about the murdered couple, that lived here before me, I pay less.

Oh gosh, I shouldn't think about the murdered couple at this hour. It's dark outside and I know I shouldn't scare myself, if I don't want to end up in my neighbour's apartment again. Yes, last time I was scared at night, I decided to introduce myself to the neighbours, because I really didn't want to be alone that night. I ended up scaring those people and leaving the impression of an insane woman.

I shake my head and turn towards my kitchen counter, preparing his food after placing his water bowl on the ground next to the counter. I thought that was a great place for Tobias to eat. After putting the food bowl next to the other bowl, I look over to the couch, where Tobias settled down, expectantly.

"Tobias, come here. You haven't eaten all day. Come on, boy." I make those noises that people make whenever they try to encourage a dog to do something, but it doesn't seem to help. I sigh and stand up after trying it again with my knees on the ground, while patting my thighs.

"I know it's hard, but you have to eat." I sit down next to him on my small red couch and pat his head. He yawns and turns his head away from me. It feels like he doesn't know me anymore. The times we spent together seem so long ago. And if I'm being honest, I actually already forgot about him.

If Mister Thomas, Misses Johnson's lawyer didn't call me two days ago and invited me to his office, because apparently Misses Johnson left me a few things, I wouldn't even know she died. I know it sounds sad and I feel really bad for not staying in touch with her and her husband when it's clear she treated me like a friend.

I regret not visiting, especially after Mister Thomas informed me about Mister Johnson's death years ago. He had a heart attack and so Misses Johnson was left alone in their big house. I should've known. Someone should've told me before. But then again, I'm not really on speaking terms with anybody from my hometown. Not even my parents.

I mean who can blame them, they didn't have anything to do with the old couple. They lived a few houses away from us and I never told them that I took care of the dog. I just didn't think it was something to tell them. I wanted to save my money and knowing my siblings, they'd offer to help too, so I'd get less money. Yeah, I was pretty smart back then.

A hard pounding on my apartment door makes me jump out of my thoughts, literally. I turned to see Tobias walking away from the noise and into my bedroom. I sigh, before standing up when the pounding doesn't stop. That reminds me of the murdered couple and I feel a cold shiver running down my spine. I really shouldn't think about it any longer.