chapter 9

Every cell in my raging body was lit up in fury at the sight of Wendy and Black Beard on that stage-like bolder, minutes away from being married. Married. The thought made bile shoot up inside my throat and I held back gags as I pushed with all my might on the cuffs and chains that held my body firmly back and stuck in a standing position.

"Pan, stop. Its no use." I heard Tink say from her nearby cage shared with Baelfire. "These bastards got us, ya' might as well not hurt yourself more by pulling on the chains."

"No! I refuse to believe this." Baelfire said quietly yet with my same anger in his tone. They're cage was only a bit behind me, yet I could still hear their voices clear enough.

"I have a plan." I whispered just loud enough so they could hear it but the people involved in the ceremony in front of us couldn't.

"You have a plan? What are you going to do, kill the lad with evil stares and eternal hate?" Tink said sarcastically.

"Your not helping. We've got to work together, we cant let this happen." Baelfire replied.

I drowned out their pointless arguing to look around, see what I could possibly do. Then I heard it. A slight whisper behind nearby bushes and a movement sound too. I know it is futile of me to jump to such high conclusions, but I prayed I was right. Andi.

I tried my best to turn my head in the direction of the sounds, to see if I was being hopeful and aspirant, but I only saw the leaves of bushes flying together in the wind. Of course, I thought, I'm so stupid to believe it could be her. Tiger Lily's malicious smile disgusted me as she stood next to one of Black Beard's crew members playing the part of the officiant, reading their revolting vows.

Finally a wave of defeat washed over me as I let my head hang down, a burning hot tear escaping my eye and falling to the dirt ground. At this moment all of my other scars and wounds felt numb. The whips and cuts Black Beard gave me, the arrow wound that Tiger Lily gave me then patched up a bit, all my bruises, all my cuts, burns, scars and blood. It meant nothing, it couldn't even begin to compare to the emptiness I was keeping bottled up inside of me. The anger, the rage, my love for her... I don't care what happens to me, as long as Wendy's okay. But she wont be okay. She'll be kept as a slave prisoner wife to that pervert Black Beard, doing his dirty work and being his little sex toy...the thought made an apparent rain of tears fall out of my eyes, as I clenched my jaw and inhaled every second, my whole body feeling numb and worn out.

"I do." I heard Black Beard say and the words rang throughout my brain, flushing out every other thought, because I knew Wendy was next. This was it. I closed my eyes, waiting to hear the last words of Wendy I would ever hear again. The painful, yet precious words.

But instead of hearing Wendy's 'I do,' I heard a grunting sound and a big thud against the floor. When I opened my eyes it took a second to see clearly, the tears blinding my vision, but when I looked up in the direction of the stage flat bolder, I saw it. Black Beard's body laying lifeless on the ground with a familiar looking arrow poking out of him. He was dead.

For a moment, everyone stood quiet starring at his body, their jaws hung open in surprise. They all looked around, in the trees and around their camp, but they saw no one. I saw no one. Then, just as quickly as the shock and silence set in, it made its way out of everyone's emotions as chaos struck the camp. My lost boys came running out of the bushes--some jumping out of trees, and all throwing rocks and spears as they attacked.

"No bloody way!" Tink yelled joyfully but I only wanted to get free and run to Wendy. The crowd of Black Beard's crew and my lost boys at war made it impossible to see past them, Wendy was no where in sight. What was once a feeling of defeat and agony inside of me switched off to exhilaration, agitation, and alarm. I have to get to her before someone else does. I have to kiss her. I have to keep her safe.