Antonius (1)

"Samantha, come down here girl, and help me season this goat" I sit up immediately form my lounging position.

Mommy's cooking curry goat; what a time to be alive.

I jump from my bed and bound down the stairs two at a time, almost tripping multiple times, and slide into the kitchen in a fury of style. Though, by the look on my mother's face she is not as impressed by my magnificent entrance.

"Trying to destroy the new house after we just move in?" my mother questions with a smile on her tanned face. My mother was a beautiful half Indian half black Jamaican woman who still to this day had a thick accent that I loved. She was born and raised in the country and immigrated to America when she was twenty-eight, and had me in the midst of attending university with my father. Let's just say I was quit the surprise because she was on every birth control you could think of. She still calls me a stubborn little miracle baby to this day. She was now forty-six and still slaying for the gods.

"Are you even listening to me child" my mom asks in exasperation.

"Yes mommy" I reply cheekily while getting the ingredients to season the meat.

"I know you didn't want to move here because of the cold baby, but I think it might end up being a very good thing" I look over at my mom and smile.

"it's fine mommy, I just won't leave the house when it falls below 70 degrees" she lets out a laugh and leans across the counter to smack my arm.

"Stop it girl, you still have to go to school no matter how cold it is" I let out a small whine and move to put the seasoned meat inside the pressure cooker.

"fine, I'll do it just for you mommy" she mock glares at me with a small smile. "You were going to do it anyway, but alright"

After helping with the meat my mom kicks me out of the kitchen because I was being "damn annoying" and I return to my room. On the way I walk past a picture of my father in the halls. He died before I was born in a car accident with a drunk driver. He was a handsome biracial man and my mom says he was so excited to have me. Though I have never met him he still holds a place in my heart.

I lie across my bed and think about tomorrow. Starting a new school in the middle of the year should be interesting. We moved to this small town because my mother hoped it would be safer than the large city we lived in before. With her traveling for work all the time she didn't like leaving me by myself at home even if I am of age. When I was younger she left me with caretakers and before that I attended school in Jamaica until about the age of ten. Now that I'm not twelve anymore leaving me with a care taker seems a bit much. So to fix her concern she moved us to a small town. I don't have any particular problem with it save for my complete hate for cold weather. I let a small sigh and roll over to take a small nap until dinner is ready.

Why did we have to move north? why couldn't we move to a small town on the most southern part of Florida?