Chapter 3: In Which Percy Ex Machina Takes People Out In Weird Ways

June 2007

Natasha's P.O.V.

The Miami infilitration was interesting, to say the least. It had been long, and a hard mission, as she was doing her best not to be exposed. She hadn't expected a well trained Red Room operative to be there, though. So she found herself with all the information she needed, fighting a determined man who wanted the intel she had managed to get, hopefully with the added bonus of seeing the Black Widow dead. He was a good fighter, and she ended up trying to lose him, dashing off through the streets of Miami.

She hurdled a bench, running and kicking off a wall to grab onto a balcony. She pulled herself up and climbed onto the roof of a building. With the man right on her tail, she ran to the edge of the roof, and leaped off of it, landing onto another roof. She sped across and jumped off it, landing neatly on a lamp post, which she slid down. She hopped a fence, and purposefully ran into a dead end. Once the man followed her, she ran at the dead end, and backflipped far over the man's head, rolling smoothly as she hit the ground. She kept running.

She ended up right off of the beach with the man still trying to kill her, and running out of ideas. She had managed to disarm him of his gun a long time ago, but he still had a knife, so she pulled out her own in her right hand, and engaged him, knife on knife. She swiped at his head, and he ducked, trying to stab her in the ribs. She trapped his knife with her left hand, and cut across his face. He used his free hand to attempt to grab her knife, but she freed her left hand from her grip on his knife, and dropped the knife into it, slamming it into his arm. He hissed in pain. She followed it up with a kick to the ribs, which he caught and twisted, causing her to spin in the air. Once she landed, she dropped and swept his legs out from under him. He recovered quickly, and Natasha backed up a bit. She decided to try a ridiculous tactic to distract him

"There's something on your face." she said in Russian. It worked, and she shrugged mentally. "Huh. Guess I should start talking more during fights." she thought. The man looked confused, and she took the opportunity to hit him hard enough to break his nose.

"It was pain!" she quipped, remembering when she had seen Cooper watching that video on Youtube. She followed the punch up with a jab to the ribs, and an uppercut to the jaw. The man snarled, and got extremely angry. He launched himself at her, tackling her around the waist. He straddled her and pulled his fist back to punch her.
Splat.
The man howled, holding his eye, which was covered in red. She winced. His eye looked terrible. She shoved the man off of her and slammed his head into the ground. He fell unconscious. Natasha turned and saw Percy standing behind her holding a paintball gun.

"I knew that paintballs could seriously injure people when they hit the eye, but that's a little too much red, don't you think, Alexei?" Natasha asked in French.

"I guess it had red paint." He replied easily. He looked over his shoulder, where a man in a wheelchair and a couple of teenagers stood, dumbfounded.

"I've got to go. Family stuff." he said. Natasha nodded at him. He waved and ran off.

Percy's P.O.V.

After facing Luke and meeting the Party Ponies, as well as Chiron, Percy was pretty tired. He was only 13, after all. He walked to the edge of the beach, took one look at who was fighting a man nearby, and ran over to the nearest Party Pony. He borrowed their paintball gun and dashed back to his earlier location. He took careful aim, braced himself for the recoil, and shot the guy in the eye.
As it turned out, the paintball was red. Natasha looked at him, slightly amused. They had a conversation in French, which really shocked Annabeth, Grover, Tyson, and Chiron, who he had temporarily forgotten about. Or perhaps it was the act of shooting a paintball into a man's eye that surprised them.  Whatever the case, Annabeth started bombarding him with questions.