letter 552

✿  ✿  ✿  ✿

Dear Luke (it's no fun calling you lukey if you're not going to get mad),

             I nearly fell right over when I was reading your last letter. Do you honestly think you're going to die some lonely, old man? You have got to be one of the most ridiculous people I've ever met. You're going to be just as irritatingly charming when you're a wrinkly old man, so I'm sure you'll still be winning over the hearts of the ladies even in the old folks home. I'd swear my life on it. 

           If Ryan was actually destined to be my soul mate, I must have done something awful in my past life to deserve that. He's not nearly as dreamy as he was in the seventh grade. Once he got his braces off, I saw that his teeth were far too large for his mouth and his always-chapped lips. And he got an awful haircut.

            You're so silly. Of course I was just joking when I questioned whether getting to know you was a good or bad thing. (I do apologize because my sarcasm doesn't read well over letter, I'm realizing that now.) And aw, I like this sappy Luke. You should bring him out more often.

           And my friends? Oh lord. No, I probably wouldn't do what you did for your friends for my own because my friends are just walking train wrecks. I love them, don't get me wrong, but I do prefer to stay far, far away from them when they get any amount of liquor in them. (Their names are Franky, Lauren and Bree.) I'm the odd one out in our little friend group (but you probably could have guessed that. I'm usually the odd one out.)

         Optimism seems so - I dunno - unrealistic. Like, I'm honestly envious that you can view the world like that. It's probably why you live such a happy life. But that idea - the idea that we're all on here for one purpose - is absolutely terrifying What if we don't find that one purpose?

         I'm really not trying to ruin your optimistic outlook on life with my pessimistic skepticism, I just can't help it. I'm a virgo; I need the facts. I'm logic based.

       Wait, are you pulling a prank on me? You're seriously going to send me something?! LUKE I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS DAY SINCE THE MOMENT YOU TOLD ME YOU SANG. (I'll be counting down the days until I get a song.) Just don't get your hopes up, I'm not nearly as good of a painter than you're making me out to be.

                  Yours truly,

                           Isobel Lockett