WHY SO AFRAID?

Iris didn't have time to react because Sky was screeching again. The object was indeed moving deeper into his chest. She could barely make out its edge now.

"Are you all right?" Valentine asked.

"Am I all right?" Sky repeated. "What kind of question is that? There's a hole in my chest and some shit trying to get to my heart. Let's not forget when it does, it'll kill me!" With heavy sarcasm he added, "I'm just walking on rainbows over here."

He howled again, his knuckles whitening because of tightly he gripped the edge of the seat. His breathing was more labored now. Iris thought of Sue. She could heal anything. They had to get to her house and they had to get there now.

"My house," she yelled at Valentine. "We need to get him to Sue!"

"I think I got that." Valentine said, taking a sharp turn.

Iris was jerked back hard into her seat then mashed up against the door. She was surprised Sky hadn't been disturbed an inch when they were finally driving straight again on the freeway. Iris brushed few strands of her hair out of her face and examined him again.

"You're losing a lot of blood Sky." Iris said, noticing her jeans were drenched in his blood. It was pooling all around him in the leather seat.

"Really?" Sky lifted his hand and let the fluid cupped in it fall back down. "I hadn't noticed."

"You need to replace what you've lost or you'll die."

"Stating the obvious," he croaked. "Because?"

"Because..." Iris began.

She didn't have to finish. She knew he'd understand what she meant. And he did. His eyes went wide before he shook his head.

"Forget it." Sky's voice was raspy. "I don't drink straight from the source."

"I'm giving you permission."

He shook his head, still reluctant. Iris couldn't understand why he wouldn't take her offer. She didn't think he'd have a problem with it but he did. When she tried to move closer to him, he pushed her away. The motion caused him to cry out. He settled back into the seat, sweat covering his body in a terrible sheen.

Time was of the essence now that he was failing quickly. Iris knew she had to do something and quickly. Sure, the Anconcharious slowed his healing process but blood always healed vampire wounds. It made them stronger regardless of what kind they were.

Iris swept her hair back to expose her neck. She didn't want to do this and knew Sky resented her for even having proposed it in the first place but she wouldn't let him die because of her. She craned her neck so that it was centimeters from his lips. He tried to turn away from her but instinct was too strong. He took hold of her neck, pulling her closer harshly.

Iris held her breath as she felt the tips of his fangs graze her skin and braced herself for the pain that would surely follow. Ever so gently, Sky's teeth penetrated her skin like needles piercing the finest silk. At first, it stung. The pain flooded but soon, a euphoric state sheathed her. Bliss took hold and wrapped her in its embrace. She had to suppress a whimper as she went limp in his arms.

After a while, he pulled away, leaving her dazed and void. Her neck ached but there was no longer a wound there. She brushed her hair into place and looked down at Sky's chest. The Anconcharious's edge was still visible but the wound was significantly smaller. His complexion was even returning to its norm.