ALMOST BURYING THE HATCHET

Valentine stood in the graveyard dressed in solid black. The pastor was officiating but the content wasn't sinking in. His only thought was how cruel it was Anna wouldn't get to live the life she deserved—how he did this to her. Being one of her pallbearers didn't feel honoring now. It felt like more of a mockery.

Yet, he knew she would've thought it was romantic. He almost smiled at the thought of how twistedly adorable she was. Was. His face dropped completely. Anna really was gone.

The cruel reality hit him hard watching the other mourners approach the glossy coffin to place roses on its surface. Anna's parents had requested the funeral be private so it wasn't very well attended by Westmyth's standards. Only a few members of what was left of the small family, her closet friends, a few members of the football team, and her cheerleading squad were there. He shut his eyes, contemplating whether he could handle such proximity. As he did, he felt tiny flakes grace his face.

Until now, it was merely cold with warmthless sunshine. It made everyone huddle closer than the usual comfort level but Valentine didn't mind. Mae shivered beside him when what looked like the last person offering Anna a rose for the journey to the hereafter stepped away. Clenching his jaw, he approached the casket, placing a red carnation atop of all the white roses adorning it.

Anna would've had a fit. She hated roses. Hated their smell and all the sentiment that came with them. He smiled a little—a teary, heartbreaking smile. I remembered, baby.

They were all silent while it finally lowered in the ground. The moment the casket was actually six feet under, a shrill scream pierced the air. Valentine looked over to find Mr. Von Siegel holding his wailing wife. He couldn't blame her though. Her children were everything to her and now both were gone. The tears seemed to have a domino effect because soon the small gathering was all slowly breaking down.

"I'm going to head home," he whispered to Mae.

The blonde looked up at him with watery eyes and nodded. "Drive safe."

Valentine knew he couldn't succumb to the sorrow. If he did, he wouldn't be able to pull himself back together. At this point, that was what mattered—staying upright until Zairian was buried. Valentine took his leave with that mentality. He nodded to a number of his schoolmates, accepting their condolences and shaking hands with a few, getting surprise hugs from others.

When the grass beneath his feet turned to pavement, he chanced a look up. Sky was perched on the hood of his Mustang with a blank face and black shades. Iris was standing beside him, murmuring a series of words to which he was lowly replying. She turned the instant he inclined his face in Valentine's direction. It appeared she was attempting to mask the sadness in her mien but he still saw it.

He faltered in his steps a moment, not knowing exactly how to react to her just then. The draw between them was still there but oddly, the urge to gulp down her blood wasn't as strong. He felt guilty that despite the fact he was at Anna's funeral his thoughts trekked over to how lovely Iris looked. She wasn't conventionally attired for a funeral, sporting black skinny pants, a neon top, jean jacket, and high-topped Converse. Her face was absent of any cosmetics and her hair was in a high ponytail. Yet, he couldn't help his thoughts. She really was a natural beauty.

"We have to talk some time." His brother's baritone drew his attention.

"We," Valentine enunciated while staring Sky down, "don't. I have nothing to say to you."

"Hear us out," Iris pleaded. "It's been almost a week!" He glared so she tacked on, "I know that doesn't make it any better but the point is we're slowly running out of time."