LOSSES AND GAINS

"You're okay." Valentine kept whispering to Iris as he undid her bindings. "You're okay."

She slumped in his arms like a ragdoll and he moved away from the manacles that imprisoned her to get a better hold on her. Tears streamed down her face while she hugged him back. Valentine was consoling her and Sky couldn't help the inkling of jealousy that welled up in his heart while Iris held him like her life depended on it. When he let go, her family and friends surrounded her. They embraced her and she returned those hugs. From where he stood, Sky saw how overjoyed they were having won the final battle.

Yet, no one asked about him.

No one asked where he, who had been their secret weapon, was. It was as if they completely dismissed him from existence. What hurt more wasn't that his own brother didn't acknowledge him. It was that Iris didn't. He held up his end of the bargain. He saved her. Yet, she didn't seem to care he was missing.

Sky turned to walk away with a made mind. After a few paces, a tiny hand wrapped around his wrist. Sky stopped, wheeling around. He found Iris watching him. He was at a loss at what to say or do. He blinked and opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

Iris threw her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. He felt her hot tears spilling from her eyes onto his neck as he wrapped his arms around her frame. She let out a small sound and she held him tighter. He knew this was her way of saying thank you because she was too emotional to speak. He kissed her hair, whispering, "Think nothing of it, darling."

She pulled away from him so they were facing each other. They stayed like that a moment longer before Iris leaned in and placed a delicate kiss on Sky's cheek. His skin ignited at the touch of her lips. They felt like the most fragile flower petals and he closed his eyes to savor the sensation before she drew away.

"It was my life." She sniffled.

He opened his eyes and saw the raw emotion in hers. She'd been scared she was going to die tonight, lost hope even, but he turned out to be her knight in shining armor. He gave her a sincere smile to show his understanding. Slowly, Iris smiled back then a terrible shiver shook her body.

"Here," Sky shrugged out of his jacket. He helped her into it. "Cold doesn't bother me that much anyway."

"Thanks," Iris murmured. "I didn't realize how cold it was until now."

"Yeah," he looked at the snow almost coming up mid-calf. "All courtesy of our favorite psycho hybrid."

Iris laughed.

It sounded joyful at first then emotion overtook it and she was in tears. Mad might've sufficed for what he witnessed. A young witch who survived the worst kind of torture under the worst conditions breaking down in a fit of laughter and weeping. Her slender body swooned and he caught her. Gashes, welts, and unseemly lacerations marked her beautiful skin. They were healing lethargically, but still raised and bruised. It took him now to fully grasp the sanguinary mess Drusilla Iris Cassidy was.

"You all right?" he searched her face.

"It's over." She giggled. "It's really, finally over."

He was worried but a bright smile still adorned his face. "Told you I'd keep you alive."

"Yeah, you did."

Sky's ears picked up on a displacement in sound. Mae jogged up to them.

"You guys," her eyes were watery. She took a moment to try to compose herself. "I'm so sorry, Iris. I'm so sorry. We're doing everything we can but I don't know if it's enough. Sue can't even... I'm sorry, so sorry. I'm sorry."