0.9

We parked the car and went back inside our house. I changed out of the dress and put on shorts and swimsuit. I headed down to the pier to see Aphmau, Garroth, Jeffery, Nicole, and a few other people. There was a tanned boy with brown hair, a girl with pink hair and cat ears, and a girl with short, blonde hair.

"Hey Katelyn!" Jeffery called out. I smiled and ran over to them.

"Katie, this Laurance, Kawaii~Chan, and Zoey," Nicole said. I waved to them all. Garroth and Laurance were busy talking, Zoey and Kawaii~Chan went off to get food, and Nicole and Jeffery were swimming. I was alone with Aphmau.

"So where were you earlier? I went with Nicole and Jeffery to your house but no one was home," Aphmau said, trying to spark conversation.

"I was out with my family to visit my mom," I mumbled. Aphmau looked confused.

"Doesn't your mom live with you?" She asked.

"She passed away.. Today's the anniversary of her death," I said quietly, looking off into the horizon.

"I-I, I didn't mean to hit a nerve. I'm sorry for your loss," she replied, panicked.

"Don't worry about it. So, Aphmau, why are you in foster care?" I questioned bluntly.

"Both of my parents are in the military, they have been since I was nine. I live with Garroth and his family." She stated.

"Cool," I said.

"Wanna go swim?" She asked, breaking the awkward silence. I nodded and we got up and went into the water. I ran over to Nicole, the shallow tide allowing me to easily run across.

"Nic!" I called out. She looked at me and grinned.

"Katie!" Nicole called out back. I went over to her. "Today was the day, right?"

"Yeah... It was, but, it wasn't as bad as it normally is. I've moved on a bit over the past year," I lied. It was like any other year, I just didn't cry as much.

"That's good! I was getting really worried about you but I'm glad you're feeling better!" She replied,

I wasn't feeling better.