0.7

Today was the day. I sighed as I put on a black dress. Evan looked at me with sad eyes. My dad looked incredibly distant on the drive out. Evan and I were just quiet the whole time.

We parked and walked through the meadow, down to the creek where she was buried. With heavy hearts we ran, grabbing flowers and candles.

Today was the anniversary of my mother's death. The day was still fresh in my mind despite it being nearly ten years since she passed away.

We all approached the marble tombstone and dropped the flowers on it, and lit candles around it. Everyone looked incredibly distant and sad. This always was a sad day.

I looked up into the sky, which was badly visible through out the leaves.

The hospital's waiting room was empty and quiet, other than the constant clicking of the keyboard of the receptionist. I knew this room all too well. We came here nearly everyday for mama's treatments and therapy. Back then, I had no idea why, but it is clear now.

'Katelyn, Evan, I'll be back in a few minutes.' We both nodded and smiled at her, though we had no idea what was really happening. She walked into the doctor's office. We both snuck to the closed door and pressed our ears against it.

'Is there anything? I have two kids and one coming, I can't leave them behind.' My mother's voice was faint and cracked.

'I'm afraid that it's only a matter of days now. The chemotherapy didn't work, there isn't anything more we can do. They are already resistant against our treatments.' The doctor said sadly.

'Isn't there anything? Radiation? My kids don't deserve a failure like me... They deserve to have a mother.'

'I told you Menphia, we can't do anything. I'm afraid your unborn child won't survive either.' I heard a gasp and crying.

'Damn this life, I just want my children to be happy. I just want them to know how much I love them. They aren't going to have me when they need me... And my unborn son will never be able to experience life because of this stupid disease!' Mama started sobbing.

After a long silence, the door clicked and we both ran back to our seats.

My mother looked at us with bright eyes and smiled weakly. She was a beautiful woman. She was tall and slender, just like me. She had gorgeous green eyes and freckles, traits I didn't have. She once had bushy brown hair, though she lost it in chemo.

'C'mon sweet peas, let's get going. We don't want to be late to dinner with Dad!' She exclaimed, her face still red from crying.

'I'm excited!' Evan said happily. She grabbed our hands and we walked out of the doctors office.

The drive home was fast, as we all sang along to songs on the radio.

We entered the apartment and saw my dad setting the table. There was spaghetti and lasagna on the table already.

We ate all of it, while Mama sat back with some cords hooked up to her. After dinner we both headed to bed,

'Goodnight Katelyn. I love you very much, my sweetheart. I'll always love you,' she whispered, Evan already asleep. I smiled and she kissed my forehead, and walked out of my room, closing the door gingerly.

That was our last night together.

The morning came, but Mama did not come with it.