Chapter: 1

'Oi! 4999 get over here, it's time for you to be weighed,' the farmer yells at me. I step into line behind the other girls in my shed, they say it is the best shed on the farm so we can't complain but I have never seen outside so I don't know if that is true. As I wait for my turn I stare at the walls, they are about two meters tall and twenty meters wide. I smile, this is my home.

My smile quickly fades as I remember that this won't be my home for much longer. I have been here for almost sixteen years, I am the oldest one left. My name, 4999 means that I am the forty-ninth girl who came to this farm in 1999. Everyone else that arrived in that year has left after 'it' happened. 'It' happens very suddenly, one day you are completely normal and the next you have blood leaking out of your vagina. No matter how hard you try to hide it the farmer always finds out, I don't know how but they do. The farmers drag you outside and you never come back.

I take off my black woollen dress before stepping onto the scales. 'Wow, girl your getting heavy,' snickers the farmer. I never liked him, he gives me the creeps. His eyes scan me from under his old fashioned cow-boy hat, they lingering on my breasts. I know he is supposed to be looking for blood. I try to show him how much I hate him with just my eyes. He smacks my butt. I step off the scales and put my dress back on. I can feel the farmer looking at me as I make my way to the food trough. I'll show him just how much I care about being fat. I grab a handful of pellets and swallow them, hardly even chewing. I take another handful as my friend, 3500, sits down beside me. She is also quite old, about 14, her skin is pale like mine and her hair is brown and curly unlike my strait, red hair.

'Hey, leave some for me,' she says as she slaps me playfully, there is an edge to her voice that I have never heard before. I look up at her face and see that her eyes are watery and her smile is forced. I stand up and help her to her feet. I pull her to our sleeping area and check that no one is nearby. 'What's up,' I whisper.

'Nothing.'

'I don't believe you.'

'Your my best friend, I thought you would always believe in me,' she pouts.

'Not when you are lying. Did 'it' happen,' she knows exactly what I mean.

'No, nothing happen. Just leave me alone.' She rolls over to face away from me.

I get up to find a new place to sleep. I lay down in the hay and close my eyes but I can't stop thinking about what just happened. I know she wouldn't be mad at me for no reason but I didn't do anything wrong. We have had fights before but somehow this feels different. What if 'it' really did happen? Would she tell me?

Hi guys, I know this chapter isn't great but it will get better (I think). 💜 Clara