Chapter: 3

Usually the farmer only checks on us in the evening, so I thought I would have to sit there all day, but I was wrong. I wake up this morning when I hear the farmer coming inside. He is wearing his hat and holding a whip in his hand. It seems my punishment isn't over yet.

'Hello girls,' says the farmer, his face shows that he is still angry. 'It saddens me to say that in this shed two of you girls have been misbehaving.' Two of us? But no one else has done anything wrong. 3500's eyes are wide and her face is pale, she must think he is talking about her.

'No,' I say. I sound more sure than I feel. 'It was my idea to take the hat, no one else even knew I would do it. I should be the only one to be punished.'

The farmer is furious, 'How dare you question me! I was only going to give you ten whips but now I'll give you twenty. If another sound comes out of your mouth I'll give you forty. Do you understand?' I nod my head vigorously. Why did I have to open my big mouth? 'As you can all see 4999 doesn't understand my authority, she stole my personal property and spoke out of turn, because of this she will be whipped twenty times. 3500 will be wiped until she bleeds for attempting to hide her blood.' My head snaps to attention at the mention of my friends name. She did get 'it'. I can't believe this is happening, my best friend in the world is going to be taken away from me and there is nothing I can do.

3500 avoids my gaze as the farmer forces her to kneel in front of the pole and ties her up. Our faces are centimetres apart but she won't look at me. I don't dare say anything to her with the farmer so close. 'Ok, 3500 you're up first.' I wait for him to get the whip from his belt but he doesn't. He pulls out a knife instead. He places the tip of the blade in the centre of her neck. In that moment I'm sure that he is going to kill her. He looks at me and smiles. How can he be enjoying this? In one swift motion he pulls the knife all the way down her back. 3500 gasps. Her dress falls down her arms but she isn't hurt. The farmer only cut her dress. '4999 I want you to count how many whips it takes for 3500 to bleed. Say each number aloud after each whip.' Before I can answer I hear the whip make contact with 3500's back.

'One.'

The whip comes down again and 3500 whimpers.

'Two.'

Again the whip lands on 3500's back, her eyes fill with tears.

'Three.'

The farmer whips her again and she cries out in pain.

'Four.'

The farmer stops, his breathing is laboured. A drop of blood trickles down 3500's back and tears stream down her face.

The farmer walks over to me and gets out his knife again. 3500 still won't look at me. I feel the knife pressing into my neck, and then sliding down my back. He pulls apart my dress to expose my skin. '3500, count,' he orders. The whip comes down it feels like it is burning my skin but I stay silent.

'One.'

The whip comes down again and sends a wave of pain through my body.

'Two.'

This time the end of the whip lashes at my neck. I whimper.

'Three.'

The farmer takes a second to steady himself before slamming the whip onto me. My skin splits open and I scream.

'Four.'

The whip comes down again, and again and again.

'Five. Six. Seven. Eight.'

Blood is pouring down my back. 3500's voice seems to be getting further away but the pain is still unbelievably intense.

**********************

I open my eyes, my back is still burning. I must have passed out. I'm still tied to the pole but 3500 isn't. 3500! She got 'it'. They're going to take her away! I snap my head up and see 3500 with her eyes down and defeated as she leaves the shed.

Hi guys, I hope you are enjoying the story so far. I would love to know what you think so please vote and comment! 💜 Clara