Chapter: 2

I wake up with a sore stomach. I really should have chewed those pellets. I groan as I remember the fight I had with 3500 last night. I had felt so angry with her at the time, I thought that I deserved to know everything about her but now I see that I was wrong. I need to apologise to her, I shouldn't have pressured her to explain herself to me. She is my best friend and I should trust her. I see her sitting in her sleeping area and walk over to her.

'Hi,' I say, unable to look her in the eye.

'What do you want? I told you to leave me alone,' she huffs.

'I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have pestered you like that last night, you deserve some privacy. Please forgive me,' I beg.

She smiles wickedly, 'I will forgive you,' she starts, 'But only if you promise to stop asking nosy questions and... steal the farmers cow-boy hat!'

I put my hand on my chest, 'I solemnly promise to stop asking nosy questions but how on earth am I supposed to steal the farmers hat! He never takes it off,' I protest.

'You will just have to take it off for him. I won't forgive you until I see it in your hand.' I can't believe I am going to do this for her, but then again I would probably do anything for her.

****************That Evening********************

I stand in line for the scales, my legs are shaking from nerves but I'm also a little excited to be doing something so rebellious. I have never done anything like this before and I don't know what the farmer will do. I can't believe I am actually going to do this! The farmer is just ahead, weighing each girl, and he is wearing the hat. I had secretly hoped that by some miracle he wouldn't have it. 3500 stands behind me, I can tell that she is excited. I remind myself that I am doing this for her as watch the girl in front of me take off her dress. She steps onto the scales and the farmer leans down to look at her number. I take a deep breath, it's now or never.

I snatch the hat from his head and run. 'Hey, come back,' he yells as he gets up and starts chasing me. I don't listen to him, I just run; I jump over the food trough and run toward the sleeping area. I glance behind me and see that the farmer is furious and fast. He yells profanities at the top of his lungs as I run with the hat still clutched to my chest. I glance back again and see that the farmer is close but getting tired. Suddenly I slip on some hay and the earth comes speeding towards my face. I try to get up but the farmer tackles me back to the ground. I feel his heart racing as fast as my own and hear his heavy breathing right next to my ear.

'You are in big trouble missy,' he whispers into my ear. This was a terrible idea. The farmer pulls the hat out of my hands and places it on his head. He grabs my hands roughly and ties a thick rope around them. He yanks me to my feet by my arms and pushes me in the back until I walk forward. He leads me toward a wooden pole in the middle of the shed. He pushes me onto the ground, I sit with my back against the pole. I look up to see the other girls are utterly horrified, even 3500 looks worried.

The farmer picks me up and turns me around so that I face the pole. He drops me onto the ground and I almost cry from the pain blossoming in my butt. That is going to be one hell of a bruise. He ties my hands to the pole and leaves. As he walks out of the shed I see that his face is still red from anger.

3500 comes over to me,'Are you ok?' She asks.

'Yeah, I'm fine. Am I forgiven now?'

'Of course. Actually, I had already forgiven you. I can't believe you stole the farmer's hat just because I asked you to. You're the best friend ever.' She huggs me and I smile, sitting here all night is worth the look on 3500's face.

Hi guys, I hope you like this, please vote and comment if you do! I'm sorry but I have no idea how often I will update. Love you all! 💜 Clara