Chapter: 10

I hear a knock. The sound is loud and intrusive amongst the thick silence in my cell. I hear another knock. I haven't heard anything all morning, it must be past one o'clock by now. I spent this morning examining every corner of my cell. I found a food trough with pellets, a water bowl, the four chains that were used earlier this morning and a box of tampons (I put one of them in to stop the blood from falling out of me. I am worried that I will run out and die). I walk the three paces it takes for me to get from one side of my cell to the other. I look through the small bared window in my door but I can't see anything except a brick wall. I'm guessing that the wall is part of a corridor that passes my door.

'Knock, knock, knock.'

This time the sound seems to be coming from the left wall of my cell. I raise my hand and knock gingerly, the sound is louder than expected. My ears must be used to silence.

'Knock.'

Perhaps their is someone on the other side of this wall. I know twice. 'Knock, knock,' comes the response. I knock three times.

'Hey newbie, I am 6967,' says the woman on the other side of the wall.

'I'm stuck in a tiny cell,' I call back to her. 'How do I get out?!'

She laughs, 'Honey, we are all in cells and we're not getting out anytime soon.'

'Who's we?' I wonder out loud.

'You, me and every other poor soul that was bought by Master.'

'Why did he buy us? Is he going to eat us?'

'Darling we're not going to be eaten. Master brought you because you are beautiful and still a virgin. He would never eat anything as putrid as a young woman. How old are you?

'I'm sixteen,' I say still trying to take in all the new information 6967 has given me.

'That's fairly old for a newbie. I'm only fifteen, but then again, you are number 6969.'

'What is so special about my number?'

'You don't know?' The shock is clear in her voice. 'Honey, if you don't already know what 69 is then I'm not going to tell you, you'll work it out soon enough. Lets just say that the visitors are more likely to pick you because of that number'

Agh! How can this be happening to me? Just yesterday I was seeing outside and traveling to huge, new places, now I'm stuck in a cell way smaller than my shed so I can be picked by a visitor for God knows what. 'But please, I don't want to picked! What will I be chosen for? There must be a way out.'

'Sweetheart you ask way too many questions, if your pretty you'll be picked soon and you'll figure out why when it happens. The only way you will ever get out is if you get chosen by a visitor and you really don't want that to happen!' she laughs like she has just said the funniest thing in the world. I don't find it funny at all. I'm scared, I don't want to be special, or chosen and I want to go home, I miss my home and most of all I miss 3500.

That thought gives me an idea, 'Hey 6967, I have a friend, she is short, has curly dark hair and she is number 3500, is she here?'

'Sweetheart if she is here then she probably won't want to talk to you. You and I are the only ones that haven't been chosen, if there is anyone else they are too far away to hear me yell. Women who have been chosen don't like to talk much.'

'Can't they talk'?!

'They can and they do sometimes but mostly they just cry,' 6967 answered sadly.

6969 listened hard, and heard some soft whimpers and quiet sobs that came from deep in someone's throat.

'Something ready awful must have happened to them,' 6969 says, 'I hope that never happens to me.'

'You will be chosen soon enough, after that it won't be long before you go silent too.'

'It's true that we don't like to talk,' calls a roar voice some way down the corridor, 'but we can still listen and I don't like being talked about, I'm right here you know.'

'Please,' I respond, 'tell us what made you so sad.'

There is no reply. I try talking to 6967 but she ignores me too. I don't mind too much, I have learnt a lot already. It seems that for every question I answer I uncover many more.  

Hello beautiful readers if you like this chapter then vote and comment!

Love you all and thanks for the support! 💜 Clara