The Gray Sky

I stared into the trigo-blah blah book of boredom, trying to do the math assignment.

*flashback*

"Mr. Howell! Are you listening?" The teacher snapped.

"Uh-huh, yes ma'am." Dan replied, not looking up.

"What are you even doing over there?" She asked, peering over Dan's shoulder to find his math paper covered in blue circles.

"Ah, I see. Dan?" She said, with annoyance dripping off her words. Dan looked up.

"Yes, Mrs. Hairston?" He asked, wondering why maths was so important anyway.

"What color is that?" She asked, pointing at one of the blue circles. Dan thought she had lost her marbles.

"Well gray, of course!" He said. Finally, an answer he knew!

"Just as I thought...." Mrs. Hairston murmured under her breath.

Dan ran all the way home that night.

"Mommy?" Dan asked.

"Yes, pumpkin?" Dan's mother answered.

"I remember blue. When I was really little." Dan, at nine years old, considered himself a grown up now. "I remember when I woke up every morning all I could see was that color. But now, instead of that, I see gray. Like the color of the sky. Is this s'posed to be happening? IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME?" Dan wondered this every time he saw gray. He knew it was time to know if he had been dropped as a baby or something.

"You can't see the color of your soulmates eyes, before you see your soulmate first." She said, a smile tugging at her lips.

"But why?" He asked, wondering why the sky and ocean were always gray, why a gray and yellow crayon made green, why this "blue" was so foreign to him. Why couldn't he get to see the shine of the sapphire, navy, of all its glory. Why he wouldn't get to taste the pure azure of the blueberry. He wondered why all he saw when he looked at the midnight blue was gray.
A boring, simple, gray.

"Well," she said, "I suppose that would ruin the surprise."

"But what if I never find them?" Dan asked, eyes wide. His mother's smile evaporated.

"I remember when I was your age. The grass was gray. I always though there was something wrong with me, but then—"

"But mommy, the grass is green!" Dan interrupted.

"So are your fathers eyes."

"Does that mean the sky is...blue?" Dan asked, hesitantly, worried for his mind. Was he going crazy?

"Yes, pumpkin. You'll see blue again, one day."

*end of flashback*

I shook my head. I remember that day well. It was the day I learned what that horrible smudge called gray really meant. And what the word "color" really meant.

I tried continuing the math problem. If x=2, what does zxc equal? Ugh, I had no idea. I'd have to redo the problem for the third time.

Bored, I looked out the window, at the sky. The sun was out, not a cloud in the sky. And yet, where I knew there was supposed to be a blue, there was gray. I began to see the difference between grey and blue/gray.

There was always a sparkle in gray. Always a tint of perfection. As if the color was smiling. The blue of it is a light, almost white color, making the gray go from stormy grey to just gray. Almost white, but too much darkness to tell. Almost blue, but too much undiscovered to know.

------

Heyyy! I am so excited to start this story. I have big plans for it, and hopefully I don't forget them before I write them down! If you are reading this, I love you! You are amazing to be giving my story a try. I will hopefully be writing 500 words or more in each chapter, but sometimes in order to get to the next chapter there may not be very words at all (you should probably expect that more often.) if the story gets more popular, I'll start writing to schedule, but until then, I am just gonna write in my freetime. I am not British, and know probably three British words, So it is taking place in America. I love comments and will try to reply to all of them! Please comment, vote, or just read my story. I take all forms of love.

Alright: skip this paragraph, lovelies->it's the boring paragraph that I have to write so I don't offend or anger anyone. I do not own (though I wish i did ;)) Dan Howell or Phil Lester, or most other characters that may be met in the story. These are not real events, it is purely for viewer entertainment.

TRIGGER WARNING: This story does include death, cuss words, homophobia, and if that triggers you, your safety is number one priority to me. Do not read if triggered. And if you are in a bad place, please talk to me. I am always here if anyone needs a shoulder to cry on or someone to talk to.

Alright, I think that's pretty much it. Wow this was a really long authors note. Sorry! Please, enjoy the story!

NAMELESSS FROM THE FUTURE HERE WANTING TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I LOVE MAKING COVERS AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO MAKE ONE FOR ANY OF YOUR STORIES, JUST LET ME KNOW! I'D GIVE YOUR STORY A S/O AS A THANKS!! ALRIGHT, PAST NAMELESSS, YOU HAVE THE FLOOR SIR/MISS.

Thanks! Basically, please enjoy the story, and if you guys have any plot ideas for this story, just let me know and I will try my best to incorporate them! Enjoy!

—Namelesss