Chapte IV

Aurum’s POV

‘All set?’, I asked Davis. He put on a fake smile, ‘Don’t worry it’ll go fine’. ‘That’s not I’m worried about’, I shook my head. I couldn’t see him getting hurt. ’We’ve been forced to do this. Till when? When Davis? When will this end?’, I asked, ‘I can’t lose you’.

He picked the bag and handed it to me. ‘I can’t lose you, Aurum. So concentrate’.

I sighed as I put on my mask and headed to the rooftop of the National Museum. To my surprise, I could see cops around but I didn’t let that distract me. I put on my gloves and cut the glass cleanly. The hole was just big enough for me to get in. I slid in.

When I turned to get what I wanted, I was stunned.

The cops stood there ready to grab me. All eyes and guns were on me. I recognized one of them, Detective Cameron Grace (the cute guy). ‘Drop your bag and put your hand above your head!’, a cop ordered. I gulped. My heart raced. I was so gonna get caught. Davis!

‘You’re caught’, he said.

As if I don’t know that, I thought. It struck to me, I had another trick up my sleeve.

You have no idea

Cameron’s POV

The ‘Ghost’ smiled. His smile seemed creepy. But his eyes, they seemed familiar. I couldn’t get one thing. Why was he smiling? He knew that this was the end of his job.

His hand was on his head. He didn’t say a thing. No pleading. There was something wrong.

And I was right. It happened too fast for me to keep track of.

Dan stepped forward with cuffs. Suddenly there was a cloud of smoke in front of us. It blinded us.  I rushed glancing around. He had gone. ‘Damn it! We lost him!’, I yelled. ‘Cameron!’, I heard a shrill voice. ‘Dan!’, I recognized it, ‘where are you!’. ‘I’m…. I’m….’, his voice faded.

************************************

Aurum’s POV.

‘That was a narrow escape’, Davis handed me a cup of hot chocolate. We were at home. Me, Davis, Hazel, Rachel, Jack and Evan. Our gang. I was the youngest. ‘Good reflexes’, Evan smiled. ‘Thanks’, I laughed.

‘I just wanna know how the cops came to know about this’, Rachel said.

‘We all wanna’, my brother nodded. ‘But you know we need to be careful, Cameron is suspicious!’, I almost screamed.

‘Chill, Aurum. We’ll never get caught. When we’ve got your brother at your side’, Jack smiled. I always found his smile creepy. Davis arched his brows, ‘All credits to Aurum’, he patted me on the back, ‘without her….’.

He was interrupted by Hazel’s phone. It rang. ‘Sorry’, she picked it up (on speaker).

‘Hazel? It’s me Billy’.

Billy was our other member who preferred to sit on his laptop and work. I’d seen him only once. He was about nineteen. He wore big, round glasses which made him look like a nerd (I had that impression. I really don’t know him). ‘Yeah?’, she said.

‘It was on news’.

‘Of course it will’, Evan said. I agreed with him. ‘Not that. The news that we were about to………’. He was cut off. ‘About to what Billy?’, we heard an angry feminine voice. We kept quite. ‘We’re….. we’re…… going on a date’, he said.

‘With whom?’, she asked, her voice suddenly happy. ‘With… with …… Rachel’.

Rachel buried her head in her hands.

‘You’re dinner is ready’, his mother sang and we heard the door slam shut. ‘Sorry about that’, Billy hissed, ‘my mum’s kind a nosy’.

‘Go on’, Davis said. I knew he was angry.

‘Someone called up the CNN and told them that we’ll rob the National Museum’, Billy said.

‘Who will do that?’, Rachel asked that. ‘The cops have traced the line. They found out it was from phone booth around…….. eight PM yesterday and the funny thing is that no one around saw someone at that time’.

There was a silence between us. ‘Guys?’, his voice was heard.

‘Continue Billy’, Evan said.

‘And one more bad news’.

‘That’s a lot of bad news’, Jack murmured. ‘The living ghost is in trouble’.

I shifted uncomfortably and glanced at Davis, who said, ‘What happened?’.

‘One cop had an asthma attack. He’s hospitalized’. I gulped. I didn’t mean that to happen. I just had to escape, ‘Is he okay?’, I asked, my voice small. ‘We don’t know that, Aurum. But I hope he will. I’ll tell you immediately if I get something in hand. Good night’, Billy cut off.

I buried my head in my hands and sobbed.

‘Aurum, hey’, Hazel sat next to me, ‘don’t cry. Everything will be all right’.

‘How will it!’, I yelled through my tears, ‘I’ve killed two people! I’m lying! I’m deceiving my parents! I’m a criminal!’, I got up and paced towards my room, crying.

I locked the door.

‘You’re not, Aurum! We have to do this!’, I heard Evan’s voice. He was right. We had to. Our lives depended on it. Our families’ life.

*********************************

Cameron’s POV

I was in the hospital outside Dan’s ward. He had an asthma attack. The doctors came out. ‘Is he good?’, I asked. ‘He’s recovering. But it could be fatal…’

‘You mean he’s still fighting to live?’. ‘Yes’, he nodded, ‘I’m sorry, sir but he’s still in the danger zone’, he walked away leaving me speechless.

I could not believe it. Summit was my best friend. If he dies, I swear I won’t leave him.

***************************

Aurum’s POV

I woke up, when I heard a knock on my door. ‘Who is it?’, I got to my foot. ‘Aurum. We need to talk!’, I heard mum’s voice. Did she know the truth? I gulped, not sure whether I should open the door. By her voice seemed angry.

‘Open up!’. The hair on the back of my neck stood up.

I opened the door. I was terrified to see my mum’s expression. She looked angrier than I thought she’d be. ‘What’s wrong?’, I gulped. ‘Aurum Javelin! We need to talk!’.

She walked to the living room. I followed her hoping it shouldn’t be the truth. I prayed silently.

My dad was sitting on the couch, ‘Please sit’. I was glad to see Davis there too. I noticed he was paler than he really was. He was thinking the same thing. God! Please they shouldn’t be talking about that. Please.

‘You know what we’re talking about, don’t you?’, My dad asked. He too looked angry.

I glanced at Davis, who said, ‘Look….’.

‘Now! You don’t tell me you don’t know……’, my mum yelled.  ‘We’ve been trying to tell you mum but…..’, my voice faded. ‘But what!’, she yelled.

‘Sorry mum. We didn’t mean to do that’, I said.