Chapter 12

After Peter and Caspian worked on the battle plan, it was decided Edmund, Glenstorm, Wimbleweather and I were to deliver a letter to Miraz.

As I'm walking across the field and next to Edmund, I spot Miraz and one of his men talk and watching us. I nudged Ed and looked towards them and back to him. He gave me a small nod and grabbed my hand, reassuring me everything was fine.

Once we finally got to their tent and Glenstorm and Wimbleweather stood outside, Edmund unrolled and  read from the piece of parchment.

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel, and Emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender."
Now finished, Edmund rolls up the scroll.

"Tell me, Prince Edmund—" Miraz starts to speak.

Before I can think about it I stop Miraz from speaking anymore.  "King." I say.

Miraz turns to me. "Pardon?"

"It's King Edmund actually. Peters the High King but King Edmund is still a king." I state, seeing Ed look at me with a kind, and adorable, smile.

"Why would we risk such a proposal when our army could wipe you out by nightfall?" Miraz asks.

"Haven't you already underestimated our numbers?" Ed says. "Only a week ago, Narnians were extinct."

Miraz snarls. "And so you will be again."

"Then you should have little to fear" I say calmly, finishing for Ed.

Miraz laughs at us. "This is not a question of bravery."

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?" Ed asked with a smirk. He had done it. He used his pride against him.

"I didn't say I refused."

"You shall have our support, your majesty, whatever your decision" one of the lords said.

One of the major lords at the table tried to reason with Miras. "Sire, our military advantage alone allows us the perfect excuse to avoid—"

The 'King' stops his speech by stands up and drawing his sword.
"I am not avoiding anything!"

"I am merely pointing out that my lord is well within his rights to refuse."

The man I saw watching us walk through the field than spoke up. "His majesty would never refuse. He relishes the chance to show his people the bravery of their new king."

Miraz turns his sword towards Edmund and I.

"You had better hope your brother's sword proves sharper than his words".

We nod our heads and turn to leave the tent, smiling at the new hope we had.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we got back to the How, Ed picked me up by my waist and span me around. I giggled, why was he doing this?

He puts me down but still had me trapped in his arms. "You were brilliant back there. Telling him to call me King. Thank you" he says, whilst giving me a kiss on the cheek.

I look round and notice no one is here. They've all gone back to the main hall to work.
I place my hand on his cheek and smile at him. "It was no problem, my king" I smile playfully at him. I slip out of his arms and give him a wink before walking off. I look back quickly to see him still standing there, shocked. Oh, that boy.

After putting my armour on and getting weapons, I go to find them in the main hall with 2 horses. One for the sisters and one for myself. Lucy and Susan are saying goodbye to everyone.
I see Trumpkin and Trufflehunter. I run up to the two and embrace them in a hug. "Please be safe" I whisper. "You can't get hurt okay."

They chuckled at me. " Don't worry dear, look after yourself. We will be fine" Trufflehunter replies. I give them both a kiss on the forehead and leave to saddle up.

Once checking Lucy and Susan are fine, I start to mount my horse. Before I can though, I feel a pair of warm hands on my waist, pushing me up. I take a little jump and swing my legs over the horses back easily. I turn to see it was Edmund who helped me.

"Promise me you will be fine today" I say to him.

"I should be saying the exact same thing to you."

"Promise me though!"

"I promise to come back safe only as long as you do to."

I smile. "I will see you soon my King" I say to him and with that I kick my horses sides to run.
I turn my head back to see the girls following me but also to Ed laughing.