Chapter 16

Its been a couple of weeks since we won against the Telmarines. It's been amazing. Caspian finally has his thrown and mercifully dealt with those who conspired with his uncle.

We've had a ball or two, I've also grown so much closer to Edmund. I didn't think it was possible for me to like that boy more than I did before. We read together, I've taught him how to shoot better from a tree and he's taught me chess. If I do say so, I'm quite good. I beat Ed but I think he was going easy.

Even though having the Pevensies here is wonderful, I'm terrified for the next day. Who knows when they have to return to their world.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We were all gathered at the centre for an announcement from Aslan. I fear this could be it. I grip Eds hand and squeeze it for reassurance.

Caspian stands at the front. "Narnia belongs to the Narnians just as it does to man. Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. And for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."

Someone in the crowd shouts "It has been generations since we left Telmar. "

"We are not referring to Telmar," Aslan says. "Your ancestors were sea-faring brigands, pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world, the same world as our kings and queens."

At that I tense. The same world as the Kings and Queens. Edmund could easily leave.

The lion continues. "It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

Silence until one of the previous lords spoke up. "I'll go. I will accept the offer. "

"So will we," Caspian's aunt said.

Prunaprimsia, carrying her baby, and another Telmarine Lord followed Glozelle and stand before Aslan.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world will be good." 

Aslan breathes on them, and then the tree behind Caspian twists, forming a round opening. They walk through the door in the air and vanish from sight. The people gasp.

Cries come from the crowd.
"How do we know he is not leading us to our deaths?!"

Reep and a few other mice walk up. "Sire, if my example can be of any service, I will take eleven mice though with no delay."

Peter and Susan look at each other. Aslan looks over at them. Peter steps forward.

"We'll go."

"We will?" Ed asks his brother as I feel the tears start to pool in my eyes.

"Come on. Our time's up." He walks over to Caspian and offers his sword. "After all, were not really needed here anymore."

Caspian takes the sword. "I will look after it until your return."

"I'm afraid that's just it." Susan says. "We're not coming back."

They're leaving permanently! But, I've only just got to know them.

"We're not?" Lucy asks, tears coming to her eyes too.

"You two are." Peter looks at Aslan. "At least, I think he means you to."

"But why? Did they do something wrong?" Lucy whimpers, confused.

"Quite the opposite, dear one. But all things have their time. Your brother and sister have learned what they can from this world. Now it's time for them to live in their own."

"It's alright, Lu. It's not how I thought it would be, but it's alright. One day you'll see too. Come on."

Peter  goes to shake Glenstorm's hand. Edmund bows to Trumpkin and Cornelius bow. He turn back to me and buries me in his arms, me nestling my head into his neck.

"Don't go, please don't go" I say to him.

"I've got to, I wish I could've stayed longer" he says.

"So do I" I whisper before reaching up and pulling his lips towards mine.

The kiss, its soft but longing. A see you in a while sort of kiss. After we pull away, he kissed my forehead once more and joins his younger sister. Trumpkin comes to stand near me.

Susan walks to join the others and grabs her siblings hands. They all start to walk towards the tree, oldest to youngest. Just before Ed goes through he turns towards me and mouths "see you soon". Then Lucy goes through and that's it. They're gone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It had been a few hours since the Pevensies left and I was still sitting by the tree.
I hear a soft padding of feet.

"He's gone, isn't he. He's really gone" I say.

Aslan comes and sits beside me. "He is, my dear."

A few tears slip down my cheeks. I'm going to miss that boy. His beautiful brown eyes. His dark hair. His adorable freckles and gorgeous smile. How he was so protective over me in almost everything and he would go out of his way to make me smile.

Oh Aslan, I love him. I love Edmund Pevensie, the Just King.

"Aslan," I say. "I have an idea."