Chapter 13

Susan, Lucy and I are riding through the forest for about half an hour. I wished we could of gone slower as the forest was beautiful but we had a mission to do.

Everything was quiet when all of a sudden we hear a loud cheering.

We stop our horses and face each other. Susan and I exchange knowing looks whilst Lucy is confused.

"What was that?" she asks.

"That, dear Lucy, was the sound of war. Come on, we mustn't stop." I say and nudge the side of my horse again.

As soon as we have started riding again Lucy shouts out in fear.

"They've seen us." She says whilst pointing.

I turn slightly to see a group of ten or eleven Telmarine soldier's, quickly gaining on us.

Whilst we still have the advantage, Susan stops the horse and climbs off with her bow in hands.

Lucy is stunned. "What are you doing?"

"I'm sorry, Lu. It looks like you'll be going without me after all" she says to her sister. She turns to me. "Look after her will you."

"Of course. Stay safe."

Lucy and I ride off, leaving Susan in the clearing. I make sure that Lucy is in front of me at all times. Before we disappear into the trees, Lucy takes one look back before willing her horse to go faster.

(Third person)

At the battlefield, Peter and Miraz continued fighting. They are exchanging blows and reflecting them quicker than the eye can see. Peters helmet is knocked off but retaliates by wounding Miraz's leg. Miraz swings, and Peter falls over but quickly recovers. Miraz trips Peter again but this time steps on his shield. Peter yells out in pain. Miraz swings, but Peter rolls out of the way. Peter keeps rolling and blocking. Then he stops and Miraz trips. Both quickly get up, breathing heavily. Peter looks over Miraz' shoulder and sees Caspian and Susan riding up.

"Does his highness need a respite?" Miraz spat.

"Five minutes?"

"Three."

Both Kings limped back to their sides.

"Lucy..." Peter asked.

"She got through... with a little help" Susan told him.

Peter thanked Caspian.

"Well, you are busy."

Peter looks towards the How and then towards Susan.

"Better get up there, just in case. I don't expect the Telmarines will keep their word."

"Keep smiling" Edmund mutters, noticing the worried faces of the Narnians for their King.

Peter raised his sword and forces a smile. The Narnians cheer. He then holds his arm and groans. Edmund looks at it.

"I think it's dislocated. ... What do you think happens back home if you die here? ... You know, you've always been there. I never really—AWW!" Peter starts but is cut off by Ed relocating his shoulder.

Peter walks back to the fight and declines his helmet with a shale of his head. Miraz also pushes away his helmet, not wanting it to seem he needed an advantage to win. They start to circle each other when Peter attacks quickly, but Miraz parries. In the blur of movements, Peter knocks Miraz' sword out of his hand. They continue to fight, Miraz now using his shield as his only method of defence. Peter tries to stab Miraz but fails, resulting in his own sword being knocked out of his hands.

Miraz slams his shield into Peter, but Peter catches it. Twisting it behind him, Miraz elbows Peter in the face and then pushes him into a pillar. Miraz picks up his sword and swings but Peter blocks it with his armbraces. Peter stands up and punches Miraz' wounded leg. Miraz yells and falls down, dropping his sword.

Miraz breathed heavily. "Respite! Respite!"

"Now's no time for chivalry, Pete!" Edmund shouts to his brother.

Peter hesitates. Miraz waits for the blow. Peter lowers his arm and starts walking back to his side. With his back turned, Miraz grabs his sword and runs towards Peter.

"Look out!"

Just in time, Peter dodges the attack, grabs the sword, twists it around, and stabs Miraz beneath the arm. Miraz gasps and falls to his knees. Peter, holding Miraz' sword, hesitates again.

"What's the matter, boy? Too cowardly to take a life?" Miraz shot at Peter.

"It's not mine to take."

Peter looks at Caspian. Caspian steps forward, takes the sword and raises it for the final blow.

"Perhaps I was wrong. It seems you have the makings of a good Telmarine king after all."

With that, Miraz bows his head and excepts his fate. Caspian raises the sword again, screams, and stabs the ground. Everyone is in shock.

"Not one like you" he says. "Keep your life, but I am giving the Narnians back their kingdom."

Caspian walks away and the Narnians cheer. Sopespian walks over and helps Miraz up. Soon Miraz gasps and falls over, the arrow sticking into his back. Sopespian runs up and takes Miraz' sword.

"Treachery! They shot him! They murdered our king! To arms!"