Chapter 13

"I use to wake up some days and which I'd have stayed asleep. 'Cause I went to be on top of the world, today the world's on top of me." -Beyoncé

*WARNING: THIS CHAPTER IS SUPER EMOTIONAL*

"WHAT THE FUCKKKK! MAMA!" I yelled out of my bedroom door. I could here my mama storming out of her room, "What the fuck did you just say?"

"Look." Was I could say as I pointed at the fifty inch television hanging from my bedroom wall.

"Oh. MY. God." Was all she could say, the six o'clock world news was doing a special on a huge bust investigators made all the way in Atlanta, Ga. She grabbed me into a bear hug. I shook my head, not believing it. Not my daddy, the man who raised me knowing that there was a chance that I was not his biological daughter he still fought for me. Not the man that up until about a month ago, I thought he was a Professor. God NO. Not my daddy, Carlito Emmanuel Goode, please say it's not true. I jumped when I heard what sounded like the front door falling to the ground. I heard multiple heavy steps coming up the stairs and then flash lights were blinding me as I stared at my bedroom door.

"April Maria Rivera." They said, grabbing my mom who's arms were still wrapped around me. "You have the right to remain silent..." God NO.

"I love you, baby. Wipe your tears, mama and papa are okay. You hear me, Brooklyn?" I couldn't believe this.

"BROOKLYN! BROOKLYN!" I heard my name being yelled from downstairs. I was frozen. "GET THE FUCK OFF ME! Brooklyn!" I heard again, the officers carried my mom downstairs and I followed, desperately. I looked at the mess they'd made in the house my mother adored. She put her all into this house. I walked outside because someone was screaming my name, it was Tre. He was being retained by two officers while the other one put him in cuffs. I just shook my head, I've seen it all today. I sat on my front steps as the officers left the premises a mess, finding nothing. Why would they even come pick up my mom? She's a RN.

*

-Midnight-

"Brook." I looked up and Jodi was walking towards my moms place as a cab drove off. I don't know how long I've been out here, it's cold and my stomach hurts so bad. Jodi grabbed my arm and helped me stand up. So much has been running through my mind right now. I know I haven't been here that long, I just got back here not too long ago, those fuck ass cops tried to take me to CPS. Hell NO! I'm grown.

I felt Jodi wrap her arms around me, "I'm here for you, okay. Whatever you need Brook. You gone be aight, Brooklyn. Yo parents gone be aight, y'all strong. You built Ford tough Brook, we been through it all together ain't no turning back now. It may not see like it right now, but you gone be straight. Where Tre?"

"They took him and my mama. My mama ain't do shit." I said, trying to overcome the dryness of my throat and the tight feeling in my stomach. "If Tre go to jail again, he gotta do a mandatory six months, three years more if he had a gun on him and ain't no telling how much money or weed he had." I said though tears,I rubbed my tummy. The thought of not having him here with us saddened me. I cringed, gritting my teeth my stomach hurts so bad. Tre facing five to ten and my daddy facing twenty to life and I don't know what the fuck they want with my mom. I'm an orphan, I suppose.

I could here my phone ringing upstairs, I couldn't move my stomach hurt so bad. Jodi got up and went to grab it. "Cook County." She said, walking down the stairs.

"Answer it." I said, anxiously there's no telling who's call that is.

"Tre." She whispered. I held my hand out with the quickness.

"Hello?" I said, talking over the lump forming in my throat.

"Hey, baby. You okay? The baby okay?"