XXVII: Russian Roulette

We all piled into the several cars we brought to the Bitchy Witchy once Jemma got off work, planning on going to the one and only Miss Jemma's School of Evil to play Russian Roulette. I had the idea that maybe if one of us died, we could find an angel and I could exorcize it. Really, we just wanted to test the theory we had about the note I found. Although, shooting ourselves and hoping we wouldn't die seemed a bit extreme and overboard to try and find an angel. After all, I had two I could exorcize at any given moment. 

The drive to Miss Jemma's School of Evil seemed longer than usual. When we finally got there, Helena grabbed her old Winchester pistol and we followed Jemma inside. We sat in a circle on the ground and Helena dumped all but one of the bullets out of her gun. 

"So if this doesn't go as planned, I want a huge angel statue on my grave so that I can haunt it and scare people," I said. "And if it does go as planned, I still want a huge angel statue over my grave so that I can haunt it and scare people." 

Sammy looked at me with a raised eyebrow. 

"This'll go as planned. All of y'all are goin' to Hell so I can try'n get ya back. And if we don't  get ourselves'n angel, hell, Gabe here'll suffice." Lucy shot Gabriel a look. 

"All y'all shut up," Helena said. "Who wants to go first?"

Glitch shot his hand up almost instantly. Thomason grabbed Glitch's wrist and yanked it down. Glitch shot him a look and took the Winchester pistol. We all watched him as he opened his mouth and put the barrel of the gun on his tongue. Thomason took Glitch's hand and looked the opposite way. I watched as Glitch pulled the trigger. Thousands of thoughts flooded through my mind. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. Maybe we were just getting Glitch killed. 

There wasn't a sound. 

Thomason breathed a sigh of relief and took the gun from Glitch's mouth. He said, "my turn." Before anyone could even begin to think to react, he put the gun against his forehead and pulled the trigger. 

Click. 

"Damnit, Thomason!" Glitch exclaimed, yanking the gun away. He slid it to the other side of the circle. Glitch kept scolding Thomason but I drowned the sound out. The gun had landed by my boots. I hesitantly picked it up, examining the beautiful pistol. I've always been more of a knife girl, but even I had to admit that Helena's Winchester pistol was incredible. I opened my dry lips and set the gun on my tongue. My hand was shaking but I didn't know why. There was no way I wasn't going to be walking out of this damned schoolhouse today. I would either get another empty shot or I would die and come back to life like always. 

I pulled the trigger

and fell

blood filled my mouth 

the gunshot still rang in my ears

and then I was sitting up, coughing. 

Everyone was staring at me, shocked. Glitch was shirtless. I saw dark fabric out of the corner of my eye. It was tied around my head. Sammy was a few feet away, looking completely terrified. Lucy was next to her, the same expression on her face. Gabriel was on the other side of the room, holding the arms of someone. 

"Nice of you to roll around, Bandit," Gabriel said through clenched teeth. "This is my friend, Steinadriel. Mind exorcizing him before he flies back to Heaven?" Gabriel was obviously in pain and I assumed that pain was from holding the angel--Steinadriel--in place. 

"I don't care if you are an archangel, Gabriel!" Steinadriel growls, fighting Gabriel's grip. "You will not escape from this one!" 

I stood up and wobbled from the sudden rush of blood to my head. I blinked it away.