|| Chapter Twelve || Returning the favour

Sean's POV:

Mark hadn't walked home with me today and I was a bit surprised. He was still shaken up after the note but i was sure he wouldn't go. I'd keep telling him tomorrow if I had to. As I made my way down the path, I could hear shouts coming from the woods. Fearing the worst, I rushed into the trees.

There was Mark, my brave, strong Mark.

Since when was he mine? Did he think I was his?

I could see him standing there pinned to the tree and my heart panged. It was like déjà vu, seeing him in the same situation I had been in only a few months ago.

As though I was someone else entirely, I felt my body fill up with ungodly rage. Felix had used Mark, he'd used me and now he was touching my friend, where I wanted to touch him. Pull yourself together Jack. This is for Mark.

I dashed out into the clearing and threw all my weight into the side of Felix's head, knocking him to the ground.

"Get the fuck off of Mark, you twat!" I growled, not recognising myself.

Nathan and James rush over shouting and grab my arms, holding them begin my back. I wrestled and spat at them, to no avail. I simply wasn't strongly built.

Felix brushed the leaves off his face and spat blood to the side.

"Aw bless, the little Leprechaun has come for his pot of gold. Turns out im not all rainbows." He smirked.

He ran his hands along my jawline and I snapped at his fingers.

Mark ran up and yanked Felix off of me and kicked him in the groin.

Sinking to his knees, Felix signalled the boys to start on Mark. Again and again they punched him and kicked him, with me scrabbling at their shirts, too weak to do anything.

With a spurt of energy, I kicked the back of James' knee, causing him to lurch towards.

"You little shit!" He screamed and he flipped over and threw a hard uppercut, hitting me in the jaw. I flew backwards, dazed and confused.

"Jack!" Mark groaned out.

Mark's POV:

I watched Jack collapse onto the ground and I want to fight against the boys but I had no energy left. "J-jack." I moaned.

"I can't do this."

Before my memories faded into black, I saw the two older boys collapsing around me before the green haired boy knocked Felix's lights out.

"Stay with me..."

~time shift~

My eyes fluttered open. It was dark in this room and it felt cosy. I recognised the room, we were in Jack's shack. I grumbled, half asleep and shifted over.

"Hey, sleepyhead." Jack was staring at me concerned.

"Huh?" I sat up quickly, too quickly.

"Woah there." Jack said and lowered me down. I cursed under my breath. He glanced at me and began dabbing at my stomach with a cold cloth. I winced and he looked up.

"It's fine." I whispered.

"Does this remind you of something." He smiled. Yeah, it did. The first week of school when I tended to his wounds. Now he was caring for mine.

"How did you get me here?" I croaked.

"Adrenaline." He stated, as though that was much help. I stared at his scrawny frame.