|| Chapter Thirteen || Mark's Story

This chapter will be entirely in Mark's perspective

~ PEACE ;)

I could remember all of it. Every single moment, and I wished that I couldn't. But it's best to start from the beginning.

It was a cold evening in the middle of November. I knew that my parents had been arguing recently but I asked all of my 7th Grade friends and they all said it was normal for the adults to argue every now and then. They didn't say it was normal for the dad to hit their partner though but I didn't bring it up. He didn't hit mum when he was sober, only when he'd had too much to drink. But that was happening more and more recently. This time, as I sat curled up next to the door, the shouts were louder. The wood of the door had muffled them but I could still here the anger resonating through the house.

It went on like that for hours, my dad's voice rising steadily against my mum's. He was clearly drunk and she knew it. Suddenly, there was a loud smacking sound and silence fell over the house. I could hear my own unsteady breathing as the quiet dragged on.

I pulled the door open a crack, so I could here the next few sentences.

"That's it..." My mum whispered, voice low and full of sadness.

"I'm going."

"But. But." I could hear the smirk drop off my dad's face.

"I've put up with way more of this crap than I should have." I could hear her rustling, I guess she picked up a bag.

"What about Mark?" My dad asked, anger in his voice.

"Keep him, I want nothing to do with you."

The way she spoke of me, as though I was nothing more than a belonging that one simply owned, hurt me to the core. Tears began falling down my face, leaving small wet patches on the knees of my jeans.

"Get out." My dad snarled.

"With pleasure." I never heard that voice again.

He slammed the door behind her and stomped up the stairs. He never stopped to console me, instead he retreated to his room where he spent the next week with only three bottles of vodka for company.

~time skip~

As I moved up through the grades, I got used to the excuses about my cuts and bruises and the stares I got when I came into school in the same clothes twice because I was too scared to leave my room and wash them.

I no longer missed my mum, instead I hated her, for leaving me alone with that monster in the house.

I didn't even miss the noise of a family, silence was now my friend.

I even tried to distract myself, with girlfriends, but they never could. I tried as hard as I could, but I never felt a connection between me and other girls. I knew that I was different, my dad sensed it too and I paid dearly for that.

"So...you got a girlfriend?" He leant on the table in front of him, he looked tired and grey.

"Uh..n-no, not yet." I stuttered, trying not to speak too loudly. I didn't want to make him angry. Well I was too late.

"Mark, you're 15. Surely a reasonably attractive guy like you could pull something. Oh wait, you're useless at everything." He smirked, lank hair drooping over his forehead.

I knew that I had a problem when it came to anger, I'd been in enough fights to know that over time, my personality had become uncontrollable.

"I hope you're not gay..." He muttered.