Chapter 4

“…So I just left,” I finished, pulling some hair out of a hairbrush.  Kaylee stared at me from her styling chair as I leaned up against the table in front of her.  It was the Saturday morning after the party, and Kaylee’s salon was empty except for the two of us.  It wasn’t usually very busy, but this rainy morning was particularly slow.

She cleared her throat.  “You know, when I told you to make friends, I meant make FRIENDS, not deals with the devil.”

I huffed and looked at her. “I did make friends! They even liked my hair!  I just happened to make a deal with this hot and mysterious asshole in the process…” I trailed off.

“Yeah.  And then he made you leave his party.”

“It wasn’t even that good of a party…” I grumbled.

Kaylee shot me a disapproving glare.  “You aren’t supposed to even be partying.”

“Well my dad wasn’t home last night for me to ask if I could go.”

“It’s called a cell phone, Lou.  You could get in a lot of trouble if you had gotten caught there.”

The bell on the front door of the salon rang and alerted us of a customer.  Kaylee shook her head at me and walked around the front wall to greet the person.

“Hi! Welcome to…”

I glanced down at my phone as it buzzed in my hand.

-Why’d you disappear on me last night? They told me you left :(

Josh and I weren’t dating so I didn’t feel it necessary to tell him when I was leaving.  I hated guys who were clingy like this and I hadn’t even known him a full day.

-I just didn’t feel too good.

-I could have driven you home!

My eyes widened at the thought.  I wasn’t ready for him to know where I lived yet.

-It’s okay.  See you at school on Monday!

I walked absent-mindedly out of the way of the styling chair and began to walk to the back when someone called my name. “Lou!?”

I jerked my head up to see who Kaylee had just brought into the salon.  Isabella, Emma, and Nora all stood grinning excitedly at me.  Kaylee stood behind them with a confused and surprised look on her face.

“Hey guys!”

Isabella quickly rushed to me and hugged me, as well as Nora.

“Nora is dying her hair purple!  We were going to invite you but I realized this morning that I didn’t have your number!” Emma explained.

I laughed and looked at Nora. “I didn’t think you were serious when you said you would dye your hair.”

She sat in the styling chair and looked at me in the mirror.  “Girl, I would totally dye it red but I didn’t want to seem like a copy-cat.”

Emma grabbed me and pulled me into a hug. “I am so sorry about Harry.  You really don’t have to do this whole truth-or-dare whatever.  You really shouldn’t.”

“He can be dangerous sometimes,” Isabella added, picking up a magazine and sitting in an empty chair next to Nora.  Kaylee eyed me in the mirror and raised her eyebrows but didn’t say anything as she began to pick through Nora’s hair.

I plopped down into a chair myself and looked at the three girls.  “Really guys, I think I’m going to be fine.  If it gets to be too much, like I said, I’ll stop and admit that he won.  No harm done.”