Chapter 20

The next morning, Harry woke me up the same way that he had each morning that week – a kiss on the cheek.  Then he would let me get a shower while he made breakfast for us, take a shower while I ate and did my hair and makeup, and then he would get dressed and we would be off to school.  In just a week we had learned how to live with one another, sharing a bathroom, a bed, t-shirts, food, and delicate little kisses yet I was having the hardest time sharing the one tiny detail of my life that would change our relationship completely – Harry Styles saved my life.

After school, Emma and I took our usual place on the bleachers and sprawled out. Harry galloped onto the field first and turned around to make sure I was watching him.  When he spotted me, he waved and grinned before putting his penny on over his body and throwing on his helmet to cover his face.

“You know, I’m surprised he hasn’t gotten shit for that tattoo,” Emma said, taking a bite of an apple.

I laughed. “Honestly I was a little worried when he first got it but I actually love it now.”

“Oh no, I do too. It’s so weird. I told Liam that he should get a butterfly tattoo like that and he looked at me like I was crazy.”

I laughed as I scratched my shoulder and looked at my peeling nail polish.

“Oh girl,” Emma sat up quickly. “You know Miranda Connelly?”

I thought for a moment, suddenly remembering the name from one of my classes.  Miranda was a small girl who didn’t talk much, but I noticed she stared at me a lot . She came to a few of Harry and Liam’s parties. I nodded.

“She thinks we’re good friends so she tells me everything and she told me not to tell anyone but you’re my best friend so I have to tell you everything but anyway she’s pregnant,” Emma said all in one breath.

“Who’s the father?”

Emma shrugged. “She said it could be one of four guys.”

I grimaced at the thought of quiet little Miranda having sex.  I shook my head to get rid of the thoughts. “Emma, do you tell Liam everything?”

“Mhmm,” Emma hummed. “We’ve been dating for so long that it would be weird to keep secrets at this point.”

“Well what about when you first started dating?”

“I mean, it takes time to develop trust. I remember there were a few things I didn’t tell him at first.” She sat up again. “Is Harry sneaking around?”

I laughed. “No, no, no I was just curious. Plus, it’s not like we’re official.  I guess technically he could still go out with other people if he wanted.”

“You aren’t exclusive yet?!” Emma nearly yelled. I shushed her and looked down at the field where the boys were.

“Girl, we all thought you two were like, a thing!”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. He hasn’t officially asked me.”

Emma gasped. “Oh my goodness.”

I looked back at Harry on the field.  I could hear his laugh from all the way up the bleachers.

“Oh! And did you hear that Josh is transferring schools? Or at least that’s what everyone’s saying.”

I turned and looked at Emma, shocked.  She nodded at me as she pulled her wavy hair up into a ponytail.

“He got arrested last weekend at the party and said he was too embarrassed to come back here so he’s leaving.”

I had been so preoccupied with Harry all that week that I hadn’t even noticed Josh’s absence. I knew for a fact that just because he was arrested at the party wasn’t the only reason he was leaving. I knew he was probably fed up with me and probably a little afraid of Harry, but surely those weren’t reasons enough to transfer schools.