Chapter 16

My heart was pumping so hard that I thought I was going to pass out.  I looked around excitedly as we flew past cars on the highway.  Harry and I both knew that we were safe at that point, but we both had so much adrenaline in our systems.  I turned on the radio and cranked up the volume as I rolled down the window and began to sing at the top of my lungs.  Harry laughed and watched me as my hair whipped around in the wind, destroying the curls I had worked so hard to perfect just hours before.  After the song ended, I rolled up the window and exhaled hard, finally calming down.

“Oh my god Harry we left our dates at the party!”

Harry looked sideways at me slowly, his brow furrowed. I bit my lip and grinned.

“Good lord I thought you were serious for a moment…” He said, grinning and looking back at the road.  A wave of warmth spread throughout my body as I heard his voice, really for the first time in a week.

I looked ahead at the dark road. “Where are we going?”

Harry didn’t answer.

My happiness slowly began to fade. “Harry?”

He kept staring at the road ahead.  I sat back in my seat and crossed my arms.  Why was I stupid enough to think he would just start talking to me again?

He looked at me and began to chuckle.  Soon enough, the chuckle turned into a full-on laugh. I stared in his direction, confused. “What?”

“I’m so sorry, I couldn’t resist.  I just wanted to see what you would do if I was quiet again. Your face…” He began to laugh again. 

I began to pout and tried to stay serious, but Harry’s deep laugh was contagious. I smiled and watched him as he slapped his knee and beat his fist on the steering wheel as he laughed.

“You are a complete ass, you know that?”

Harry snorted and looked at me, suddenly serious. “You freakin’ asked Josh to go to the party with you! Freakin’ JOSH. That little shitbag slapped you! And I’m an ass??”

I widened my eyes. “YES HARRY. YOU are the ass! You didn’t kiss me on our last date! You just ran away and then wouldn’t talk to me like I killed your family or something! And did you forget that YOU asked CLAIRE to the party first?”

“I DIDN’T KNOW THAT I WASN’T ALLOWED TO DATE OTHER GIRLS. YOU KEEP TELLING PEOPLE WE AREN’T DATING!”

“YOU SAID ‘NO’ TOO WHEN NOELLE ASKED IF WE WERE DATING!”

“WHO?”

“FROM THAT STORE YESTERDAY! SHE ASKED IF WE WERE DATING AND YOU SAID NO!”

“YOU DID TOO!”

“BECAUSE WE AREN’T!”

“EXACTLY!” Harry huffed. I bit my lip and sat back in my seat.  I don’t think I’ve ever yelled so loudly at a person in my life.  I jumped when Harry broke the silence with a deep and long growl. “I am sexually frustrated.  That’s what this is. I haven’t had sex in a long while and now it’s just messing with my mood.  You’re in a bad mood because you haven’t smoked. That’s all this is.”

“Oh really…” I mumbled.  When I thought about it though, Harry had a point.  I didn’t want to admit that he was right though.

“How about we just both have like… a break.”

I looked over at Harry. “A break?”

“Like, you can smoke a cigarette if I can have sex.”

“No!” I replied quickly, mad that he would suggest such a thing. 

“Well why not?” He asked, upset.