Chapter 31

I don’t think I had ever driven so fast in my life.  I swerved around cars and through red lights.   I thanked God that this was such a small town and that there were no photo-taking cameras above the stoplights.  Otherwise, we would have gotten about 50 tickets sent to my house for my speeding, running lights, not wearing a seatbelt, and so much more.  I could see Josh’s car in front of me, zipping past people and occasionally slamming on his breaks and then speeding up again.  I was so stressed.  I dug with one hand through my glove compartment until I found, buried in the bottom of the compartment, an old box of cigarettes and a lighter.  I stuck the stick between my lips and flicked the lighter a few times until it finally came on.  As I lit the end of the cigarette, I sucked in deeply, but immediately dropped the lighter and began to cough.  Disgusted, I threw the cigarette out of my window. It had been so long since I smoked that I hated it at this point.  I needed some sort of relief from this stress. 

My mind began to create scenarios of how Harry would react. 

"WHAT?" He screamed in one.  He punched the wall. He slammed his bedroom door in my face.

"Wait… Really?" He grinned in another.  He walked toward me.  He pulled me into my arms. "I was hoping you might be," he whispered. He kissed my head.

Josh swerved hard in front of me and I heard the faint sound of cars colliding.  I turned my wheel as hard as I could, keeping an eye out for anyone next to me and made it around Josh and the car he hit, but barely. I peered in my rear-view to see Josh reverse his car and start driving after me.  The man he hit angrily got out of his car and yelled after Josh, but the two of us were two far gone to hear what he said. I pushed on the gas as I noticed Josh catching up to me again. 

Finally I could see the apartment complex.  My heart was beating so fast that I thought it was about to pop out of my chest.  I threw my car into park as I pulled into a parking spot and jumped out of the car.  Josh swung into the spot next to me and tore out of his car, swearing as he glanced at the newly damaged part of the exterior.  I saw him start running after me as I turned to skip up the stairs, two at a time.  I wasn’t fast enough though.  Josh was on my heels in no time.  As I neared the second floor, he grabbed me by the waist and picked me up.  I screamed as he turned me around and placed me on the stairs behind him.  I spun around and started back up the stairs behind him.  I reached up as far as I could and grabbed the bottom of his jeans, yanking his legs out from underneath him.  He slammed forward onto the stairs in front of him as we approached the last floor. 

"BITCH!" He yelled, slapping the stair as I passed him.  I screamed when I got to the door of the apartment and jiggled the handle.  It was locked.  I beat my fists on the door as Josh ran to the door next to me. 

"Harry! Harry let me in please, we have to talk!" The door began to open slowly, but to my dismay, it was only Zayn. 

"Hey Lou-"

Josh started to try and push past me. “Zayn don’t let him in!” I shouted. 

Zayn shoved Josh back as hard as he could, and I ran past the two of them into the apartment. Louis stood up quickly from the couch. “Lou? What’s wrong?” 

I started toward the hallway. “I have to speak to Harry now! I have to tell him-“

"Uhh Lou, I don’t think now is the best time!" Louis shouted at me as I ran past him. Liam jumped out of his room and grabbed me. 

"Lou, you really don’t want to go in there." 

I flailed around as I heard Josh fighting with Zayn. I felt a tear run down my cheek.  I was so full of anger, frustration, anxiety, sadness… I couldn’t contain it anymore. “Liam please let me go, I have to tell him. I have to!” I yelled.