t w e n t y

Today 9:33 AM

Perry misses you :( : Wren Harper

Ty Ty: aww I miss her too

Ty Ty: can I stop by later?

I'd be mad if you didn't  : Wren Harper

Ty Ty: be there in 30 :)

"Tyler is coming!" I announced to Perry as I lifted her from her spot on the windowsill. I set the kitten on the kitchen counter as I started preparing breakfast. "Eggs and bacon?" I asked, to which she responded with a soft meow. I continued cooking, sharing bits of bacon with Perry. Just as I finished, there was a knock at my door.

"You're early," I chuckled as I swung the door open.

"Am I?" Josh chuckled softly. I froze upon seeing him, but he didn't seem to notice. He entered the apartment and sat on the counter next to Perry.

"Aw, when did you get a kitty?" He grinned widely and reached for her. I swiftly took Perry from Josh's hands and held her close.

"Why are you here?"

"I brought movies," Josh answered slowly, standing up and showing me the DVDs he held. "Aladdin and The Lego Movie. Like old times."

"You have to leave," I told him softly. He laughed and rolled his eyes, thinking I was joking. I maintained an emotionless expression.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you have to leave," I repeated.

"What, why? I thought we were okay? The other night—"

"You have to leave, Josh," I told him once more, my jaw tense.

"Babe," Josh placed his hand on my arm, and I quickly pulled away. "Okay, what's your problem?" He raised his voice.

"My problem is you!" I shouted back. "You can't cheat and lie and then come back and act like nothing happened!"

"I apologized! And you said you loved me! Was that a lie?"

"You lied first."

"Whatever, Wren." Josh grabbed his movies off the counter. "I'm trying to fix things, but you're just too damn stubborn to cooperate. Just know that you're the one who left. Not me. I tried." He slammed the door on his way out, causing Perry to jump from my arms and run into the other room.

I slowly sat on the floor in the same spot I had stood when Josh was here, the same numb feeling as when I first found out about his infidelity washing over me. I lied on my back, staring at the ceiling. Perry joined me after a while, nudging me with her head. When I didn't move, she curled up into a ball on my torso.

"You're the one who left. Not me. I tried."

Tyler knocked a few times but walked in when I didn't answer. He bypassed me in the kitchen, headed into my bedroom, and returned with two pillows. He gently lifted my head and placed one pillow beneath it, then set the second one next to mine. He rested his head on it, lying on his back just like me.

We didn't exchange words or make any sudden movements. We simply lay there in silence, Tyler's mere presence soothing me. I reached over and tightly held his hand. He lifted it to his lips, planting a chaste kiss on the back of my hand. A single tear escaped from my eye, tracing a path down my face.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"I'm sorry I'm never here soon enough," he said with sad eyes. "I'll stay tonight if that's what you want." He whispered back. I nodded.