t h i r t y - o n e

— Wren —

"I think you should go now."

"Josh, I swear, I-I didn't mean-"

"You punched her in the fucking face, Tyler!"

"But-But I-"

"Go."

I rose from my bed with sluggish movements, a relentless pounding in my head greeting my consciousness. As I staggered toward the bedroom door, I spotted Josh pacing nervously in the kitchen, his fingers raking through his hair in a display of anxiety.

"Josh?"

He turned abruptly to face me, his eyes wide with a mix of relief and concern. "Wren, hey. You're awake."

"Was Ty just here?"

"Yeah," he replied, giving me a puzzled look. "You don't remember?"

I furrowed my brow, desperately trying to recall the events leading up to my untimely slumber. But a frustrating emptiness filled my mind, and the more I strained to remember, the more my head throbbed mercilessly. I winced, clutching my temples as if that could alleviate the pain.

"I don't feel so good," I mumbled, leaning my throbbing head against his reassuring chest.

"Are we talking nausea or splitting headaches?" Josh asked, his expression now tinged with worry as my touch made him tense.

"Both," I admitted, the discomfort intensifying by the second.

"Shit," Josh muttered under his breath.

Confused, I gazed up at my boyfriend, searching for answers. He moved swiftly, seizing my car keys from the counter.

"Let's get you to the hospital."