t w e n t y - n i n e

// I feel so bad when I see new readers bc that means I have to watch them get their hearts ripped out all over again //

— Josh —

"Everything good now?" I asked, setting Wren's suitcases down with a thud. She had initially refused my help but gave in once she realized that juggling multiple bags while unlocking the door was no easy feat.

"I think so," she nodded, exhaling a sigh of relief. Suddenly, her eyes widened with realization. "I forgot my cat."

"Forgot?" I raised an eyebrow in amusement.

"Tyler's sister is cat-sitting. I just don't know where she lives..."

"That was smart," I chuckled. Wren shot me an annoyed glare. "I'm sorry. I'll go get your cat while you unpack, okay?"

"Would you really?" Wren's smile finally graced her face, and I felt my heart skip a beat.

"Yeah, of course," I grinned.

"Thank you so much, J. Seriously."

I left swiftly, making my way to Tyler's parents' house. I had spent countless hours there during our younger days, making it feel like a second home. However, with Tyler and I not exactly on speaking terms, the house felt strangely unfamiliar. I knocked on the door, an action I hadn't taken in years, given my previous "just walking in" privilege. Madison, Tyler's sister, opened the door not long after.

"Josh!"

"Hey, Mads."

"Aren't you supposed to be on tour?" She seemed genuinely surprised.

I rubbed the back of my neck, laughing awkwardly. "Something came up."

She raised an eyebrow, curious. "Oh, well, what's up?"

"I actually came to pick up Wren's cat."

"Oh?" Madison furrowed her brow in confusion. "No offense, but why are you picking her up and not Wren or Ty?"

"Wren is busy unpacking, and Tyler isn't back yet," I explained quickly.

Madison still looked puzzled but went to retrieve the cat. She showered the feline with kisses before handing her over to me.

"Drive safe! And tell Wren that I'll cat-sit anytime!"

"Will do!" I waved goodbye and carried the cat back to the car, placing her in the passenger seat.

"What's up, little dude?" I glanced at the cat, and it returned my gaze with a hiss.

"Shit, never mind then."

Once I returned to the apartment, I found Wren sitting on her kitchen floor, her expression ghostly and distant.

"Wren?" No response. "I brought your cat."

"Thanks," she whispered, still lost in thought. I sat down beside her, placing the cat in her lap gently. The feline immediately began to purr and cuddled up to her, but Wren remained motionless.

"What's wrong?" I sighed, my concern growing. She shrugged.

"Wanna get high?" I joked, attempting to break the silence. She looked at me for a moment, then broke into a small smile.

"Yeah."