20. One Hour Later

20. One Hour Later

"It was nice to see you again

"It was nice to see you again."

I'm sure it was nice for you to see your daughter for just over an hour. Any bad conscience must have been completely wiped away with this shit-hole of a weekend. Thanks dad, Maisie thought.

"Good to see you too," Maisie said.

Her dad didn't move towards her with any haste for a goodbye hug but he did squeeze her shoulder as he walked past with his suitcase. Maisie was positive this was where things were supposed to be patched up and her relationship with her dad was supposed to improve by one-hundred percent.

Instead her dad slowed and turned around to look at Rachel who hadn't moved yet. Her step-dad's glare must have got Rachel's muscles to finally move as she wandered off after him, stopping beside Maisie and giving her a fleeting smile.

Maisie gave one back and watched her dad walk five paces ahead of his step-daughter while throwing a flippant wave back at his biological one. Maisie took in a deep breath under her nose to calm herself down. It was way too early in the morning to begin to mourn over the potential loss of any future civilized conversation with her dad. She's just let Rachel deal with him. But a part of her didn't really want anything to go to shit for Rachel either.

After all, they had the same dad to deal with.

Maisie pushed her hair out of her face and walked over to the escalator, taking the steep electronic steps down a tall flight and stepped out into a large waiting area. She walked through the long departures and arrival sections before coming out at the stores and coffee shops. Maisie made a bee-line for the Starbucks hidden away in the corner. It had two tables stood beside it and Maisie went for the one occupied by a blonde boy and a little kid.

She sat down and picked up the tall drink left on the table and began to chug the black coffee down in large swigs.

"Mais!" Logan practically barked. "You can't chug coffee, you'll burn yourself, dumbass!"

"Chug, chug, chug!" Juno chanted as he sipped his bright pink frappucino.

Logan slapped his arm. "Not helping."

Maisie slammed the takeout cup back down onto the table and sighed, wiping the side of her mouth. Logan grimaced and sipped his drink.

"You're a pig," he said.

"I'm aware," Maisie said.

"Can I have a cake pop?" Juno asked, swinging his legs back and forth.

"No," Logan said. "That drink has enough sugar to make you go hyper for hours, you don't need more."

"Screw that," Maisie scoffed and rummaged through her bag until she grasped her wallet. "I want a cake pop too, come on."

"I have to deal with him for the rest of the day, you don't!" Logan called out as they walked to the ordering area. Juno ran off to pick a flavour and Maisie turned around, slowly walking back to Logan.