29. Drop Cake

29. Drop Cake

Logan slammed his body into the back door for the fifth time and proceeded to collapse onto the floor with a groan and an aching arm

Logan slammed his body into the back door for the fifth time and proceeded to collapse onto the floor with a groan and an aching arm. Maisie walked over to him and stood, hand on her hip, unamused.

"Are you quite done?" she asked.

"I think it's starting to budge," Logan wheezed.

"Really?" Maisie rolled her eyes. "The door is locked and your body mass is obviously too weak to break it down. Give up. Has anyone got a hold of Tony yet?"

Nick sighed, putting his phone on speaker and holding it out to everyone, an unimpressed look on his face. "I'll try it again but he's not answering. Are you sure it's his only number?"

"You think he's savvy enough to have more than one form of communication?" Maisie deadpanned.

The phone rang a few times until there was a beep and Sheriff Small's giddy, recorded voice came through.

"Hey there, sorry but I'm busy right now arresting the town's best baker, sorry Maisie, and this is totally gonna get me Sheriff of the year so I can't take any calls during this fragile time. Thanks, leave a well-informed message after the beep!"

Maisie looked at the phone flatly. "Imbeciles. They're all imbeciles."

"Schwanzlutscher," Andy growled, sitting on a table and throwing pieces of broken wall around the room in anger. "Whiny little Hündin."

"Okay, Mr. Passive-Aggressive, not helping," Keith mumbled. "Why don't we just call Ocean and get him to come over seeing as everyone else in town is conveniently busy?"

Maisie winced. "I saw Ocean walking to Bud's Bakers after the arrest," she admitted.

"Great!" Andy threw his hands up. "All the gays are out to get me!"

Nick brought his phone up to his ear and tapped his foot patiently.

"Yes, hello?" he asked. "Is this 911? It is? Fabulous. I'm in a little bit of a predicament here. I've been stabbed, three times in the chest, once in the thigh. Yes, I know, awful. Breathing's a little heavy, I'll admit. Does it hurt? Now that you mention it yeah, it hurts quite a bit. I'm at the bakery. What do you mean you need an address? You think I know the fucking address? It's the bakery! No, the other one. Right, yeah, thanks."

Nick pressed the end button on the screen and slid his phone into his pocket.

"Emergency services are on their way," he smiled.

"You're paying the ambulance fee," Charity said.

Maisie frowned, her head making up a ridiculous, stupid idea that just might work.