30. Start Again

30. Start Again

Charity's bedroom looked empty

Maisie wanted to be sad about the almost barren closet and the naked desk but the smile on Charity's face as she talked about Stanford was enough to make Maisie smile too. The two best friends sat on the edge of the bed and Maisie dropped her head to rest on Charity's shoulder.

"I'll miss you," Maisie said.

"I will too," Charity smiled. "But you can visit whenever you want. I'll sneak you into my dorm. And I'll be coming down every spare second I get."

Maisie smiled sadly. "You're the only best friend I've got."

"I heard that," Ocean said as he walked in, three bowls of ice cream in his hands.

He promptly sat between the two friends and scooped a healthy amount of ice-cream onto his spoon before inhaling it.

"Drama queen," Maisie muttered and took a bowl from his arms.

"I just remembered I'm lactose intolerant," Ocean mused then shrugged. "Oh well, we'll deal with that later."

"Fantastic," Maisie snapped and Charity laughed.

"I'm gonna miss this," she said.

"Honey, we're gonna be video calling you every five minutes so you won't be missing anything. Whether we're eating, shitting or fuc-"

"No," Maisie held her hand up.

"-king, we will be there, through your camera," Ocean smiled and Charity blinked.

"I mean as lovely as that sounds, I don't think-"

"Great," Ocean grinned. "It's settled then. Daily video calls it is!"

Maisie and Charity just looked over Ocean's head, laughing softly as he began to ramble about bees dying and that Cheerios knows what's up. Even though they didn't speak much after that, the two best friends gripped each other's hands around the back of Ocean and didn't let go until they had to.

***

"Are you sure he's going to like this?" Maisie asked Logan as they put plates down on the dining table, lining them with cutlery.

"Usually he doesn't have a party," Logan explained. "He'll get a cake, a ton of presents and a hug from dad before he goes to work and by the time it's the afternoon, the event is pretty much forgotten. He's not bothered by it and I've tried to give him parties before but it just doesn't work."