chapter one

Alec pulled his puffy coat closer to his neck, breathing out visible hot air into the snowy wonderland of Brooklyn around him. The snow crunched underneath his boots, and as he walked further down the road, he noticed the snow thinning out slightly. He found the familiar place he was looking for, pushing the wooden door that triggered a petite bell to chime above his head.

"Morning, big brother." Isabelle smiled from her spot on the couch, a full cup of coffee on the table in front of her and a fashion magazine in her hand. "Morning. Where's Jace?" Alec asked as he pulled his coat off, throwing it on the top of his chair before sitting down in his claimed spot in the café.

"He said he's on his way, I think he's coming with that Clary girl." Isabelle told him, seeming distracted by her fashion magazine that had Kim Kardashian posing on the front of it. "The red head?" Alec asked, anger and jealousy laced into his voice. He couldn't help it. He had feelings for Jace. That was blatantly obvious to a blind man.

Isabelle looked up from whatever article she was reading, her amused smile twitching. "Alec, you can't have feelings for Jace. For starters, he's straight. Secondly, he's our adopted brother. It's just wrong on so many levels." Isabelle told him, Alec sighing. "You think I don't know that? Izzy, I can't help what I feel."

A frown tugged at Isabelle's lips — she hated seeing her brother in this emotional pain. "Maybe you should find someone else, like a new person to dump all your feelings on." Isabelle offered, Alec rolling his eyes at her dumb idea. "No one can deal with the emotional wreck that I am, only myself." Alec sighed dramatically, throwing himself back in his chair.

"I'll find someone for you," Isabelle said, and as she said this, the café door opened. Clary and Jace walked in, both laughing with their hoods down, snow flickered in their hair and over their clothes. They both looked so happy, and Alec wanted to cry just looking at them.

"Hey, guys." Jace beamed the brightest smile Alec had ever seen him smile before, once he noticed they were both sitting there. "Hi," Isabelle smiled back, Alec just shooting him a short smile and then looking away, a hurt look on his face.

"What's wrong, Alec?" Jace asked as he walked over and sat on the armrest of the chair, placing a hand on Alec's arm. "Nothing," Alec murmured, not looking up. "C'mon, Alec-" Amusement was in Jace's voice, and before he could finish his sentence Alec cut him off. "I said its nothing!" He yelled, looking up this time to see the shocked expression on Jace's face as well as Isabelle's worried one and Clary's bewildered one.

"Okay, then. Whatever. I'm getting a coffee, you want one?" Jace asked as he got up from his spot, seeming unaffected from Alec's small outburst. "Just call the waiter over." Alec breathed, resting his head in his hands. He felt a headache coming on and it was only 10am.

He heard Jace call for the waiter and a minute later a voice was asking, "Um, are you okay, sir?" The voice startled Alec slightly, and he looked up from his hands, seeing the waiter standing there with an apron and notepad. He had definitive Asian features that looked like they could have been carved out of marble, dark hair pushed up in a quiff, and a sly smirk that could charm crowds.

"Uh, hi. Yeah, can I get a latte with a honey biscuit please?" Alec asked, the waiter scribbling it down on his notepad. "Sure, I'll be back with it in a second." He smiled, closing his notepad and turning on his heel, leaving to the kitchen. Alec stared off in the direction after him, still entranced by the stare that the waiter had given him.

Isabelle was looking over at Alec from across the room, a small smirk on her face as she sipped on her coffee, looking like she was plotting something. "What?" Alec asked, his cheeks tinted pink as she giggled lightly, wiggling her eyebrows. Alec walked over to his sister and looked around to look at the Asian waiter, then looked back at Isabelle.