chapter eight

Magnus woke up, with Alec draped over him, and almost forgot what had happened the night before. Then it all came flooding back to him; Jace running away, Clary calling on them for help, him inviting Jace to stay at his apartment for a while.

He peeled Alec's arm off of his chest, climbing out of the bed and exiting the room, before checking that he hadn't disturbed Alec and he was still asleep, which he was. Walking into the kitchen, Magnus saw Jace in front of the kettle, stirring a cup of something hot and brown, wearing merely a pair of boxers with cookies printed all over them.

"Making yourself at home, I see." Magnus said, yawning loudly and stretching before walking over to the cupboards, taking out a cereal bar. "Yep," Jace grinned, looking a lot happier than last night.

Magnus wasn't used to being around people like Jace — he was unique, Magnus would give him that.

Jace sighed, "I hope my mom is okay, she doesn't know where I am and is probably flipping her shit right now." Magnus hated to hear about Maryse, and didn't have any respect for her as a mother, or human being in general.

"Haven't you talked to Isabelle or Max about what's been happening?" Magnus asked, through a mouthful of food, after chewing on his cereal bar. Jace looked pained for a second, as if the mention of his siblings had reminded him they existed. "I'll talk to them soon, I'm just not sure when." He took a sip of his hot drink, that Magnus now realised was coffee from the distinct smell.

They then both turned upon hearing footsteps, seeing Alec. His black hair was ruffled like a newborn bird's feathers, and he rubbed at his large eyes tiredly. "Why do you two speak so loudly?" He whined, his voice hoarse from just waking up.

"Why were you still asleep, Alec?" Jace asked in response, snatching Magnus' cereal bar and shoving the rest into his mouth. Magnus gaped at him, Alec walking over. "I'm regretting life choices," Magnus mumbled in annoyance, his arm naturally wrapping around Alec's waist and pulling him towards his own body, feeling Alec's body heat already.

Jace swallowed the last bit of food, throwing the wrapper before it fell in the bin. "I personally am having a blast of a time," He grinned, skipping past them happily and flopping on the sofa. "Jace, you know you still have to go to school, right?" Alec smirked, Jace whipping his head to meet Alec's amused gaze.

"What?! You're making me go to school? Alec, come on, how am I supposed to concentrate in school right now when I could get gutted at any second?" Jace asked, his expression clear that he really didn't want to attend school today, or for a while. "I thought you were my brother, not my mother."

Alec flinched slightly at the mention of Maryse, though moved past it quickly. His mother honestly wasn't worth his time. "Jace, you aren't going to 'get gutted' at school. Magnus and I can drop you there, and then pick you up afterwards. I need to talk to Izzy anyway," Alec said.

Jace groaned, "Fine! God, you two are like my new gay dads." He got up and sulked to the room he was staying in, obviously going to get changed. Alec turned to Magnus and gave him a look, Magnus looking both annoyed and like he wanted to laugh. "'Gay dads'? Bit fast, isn't it?" Alec laughed, Magnus humming.

"Jace is practically our responsibility now, huh?" Magnus said, playing with the hemline on Alec's pyjama bottoms lazily. "Is that okay?" Alec asked, not wanting to push Magnus to do anything he wasn't ready for.

Magnus said, "No, no, it's fine. I just didn't think when we got together we would be adopting your reckless teenager brother, is all." Magnus raised his eyebrows, Alec laughing slightly and shrugging his shoulders, "He can stay with me when I move out soon. I still don't know when I can move in, but it should be soon."