chapter twelve

Christmas was Alec's favourite holiday — he loved everything about it. He loved the presents, the food, the joy, and the overall atmosphere it held. He felt as though even if everything else failed in his family, Christmas was the one day where everyone would get along and any arguments could be put off until after.

Magnus' idea of Christmas was very different. He had spent past Christmases with Camille, who was a strong non-believer in Christmas, and hated everything to do with the holiday. She thought it was all utterly ridiculous, and thought that you should only celebrate it if you were Christian and wanted to celebrate the birth of Jesus, not to open presents and sit on Santa's lap.

Despite this, Magnus had always secretly loved the holiday, although never told Camille. He hadn't received a Christmas present in years, and had almost forgot how to celebrate. As it was only two days until Christmas, Alec was practically jumping off the walls, which made Magnus feel very positive and excited.

 "Have you got your Christmas presents this year?" Alec asked Magnus as he sat with him in bed, tracing patterns on Magnus' bare torso with his index finger. Magnus said as he twirled a lock of black hair around his finger, "Not yet, I figured I'd just get something later or tomorrow."

Alec let out a loud gasp and sat up out of Magnus' embrace, looking down at him with a horrified expression. "I bought all of mine months ago! Oh, my God, Magnus. You have to get dressed and go buy some," Alec leaped out of the bed, pulling clothes on in a hurry and opening the closed blinds, Magnus squinting as the sunlight poured in.

 "Why can't we stay in bed for a bit longer, and then I'll go and pick some up later?" Magnus whined, pulling the covers up over him, as Alec had ripped them off of them both when running out of the bed.

Stumbling to yank his jeans up his long legs, Alec said, "Magnus, it's two days until Christmas Day. If you go now then it won't be as busy, if you go later you'll be trampled on by busy shoppers! I don't want you to become a pancake before Christmas."

Magnus let out a small laugh, stretching his arms out and yawning. Alec tried not to let himself get distracted by Magnus' exposed body stretching out like a tired kitten on the bed, doing up the button on his jeans and holding a hand out for Magnus to grasp onto.

With a smirk, Magnus grabbed the hand and pulled Alec back onto the bed. "What if I went in an hour?" Magnus asked, wrapping his arms around Alec whilst he was still startled. Alec sighed in his embrace, craning his head to look at Magnus, "You better get me a good present later."

 "I'll give you a good present now, and then." Magnus said, rubbing his thumb across Alec's bottom lip, then flashing him an innocent smile. Alec raised his eyebrows at him, and when he didn't say anything for a few moments, Magnus threw the covers off of him and jumped out of the bed.

Magnus teased, "Maybe you're right and I should go now. I don't wanna become a pancake, as you put it." Alec reached forward and grabbed Magnus by the arm, pulling him back to the bed. "Nope, we're having sex first." Magnus smirked in triumph, Alec letting out a small squeal as Magnus pulled his legs so that he fell underneath him, starting to remove his clothes that he'd just put on.

Later in the day, Magnus finally understood what Alec meant when he said that Christmas shoppers were on a rampage. He wheeled his trolley around the isles and looked in terror upon the other shoppers grabbing at items and fighting for the last in stock with other customers.

He knew that he would have to buy presents for Alec, their friends, and his family. He wasn't close enough to anyone else to feel the need to buy them presents, and wasn't exactly made of money either. 

Alec and the perfect present was what worried Magnus the most. Magnus knew that Alec loved Christmas, and this was their first Christmas together, so whatever he got had to be amazing. Alec and Magnus still hadn't discussed what they'd do for Christmas, but Magnus knew that Alec would want to be with his siblings and their friends, which was fine.