chapter nine

Isabelle closed the door behind her, turning to smile at Maia. "Your brother seems nice," Maia said as she pushed her shoes off her feet, settling down on Isabelle's silver duvet. Isabelle sat down beside her. "You fancy my brother?" Isabelle joked, taking off her shoes too.

"He's very sexy, but taken and gay." Maia laughed, leaning back on the bed and sighing. Isabelle let her eyes rake over her stretched body, although looked away quickly, pulling out her phone. Isabelle gave Maia the wifi password, and then silence commenced. "Do you want to listen to some music?" Isabelle asked after a few minutes, Maia nodding with a smile.

Turning on her speaker, Isabelle put her music on shuffle, now trying to drown out the argument she could hear downstairs between Alec and Magnus versus her mother. Music emitted from the speaker, and Isabelle turned it up the entire way, Maia looking at her and cringing from how loud it was, though laughed shortly after.

After they all left, Alec felt in a shitty mood. Things went from bad to worse with his mother, if that was even possible. He had a bit of hope, though, as his father apologised and accepted him. They drove back to Magnus' apartment in silence, Alec biting down on his lip and taking deep breaths to stop himself from crying.

The permanent betrayal of his mother really hit Alec hard.

"You know what I just realised?" Magnus asked as they got into the elevator, Alec pushing himself into the corner. "We still haven't gone on our first date," Magnus continued, smiling at Alec after to try and cheer him up. Alec felt a grin tug at his lips, forgetting about that. So much had happened; he'd forgot the dating part with Magnus.

Jace said, "Why don't you two lovebirds go on a date tonight? Then I can get some alone time." Magnus raised his eyebrows at him, "You think I'm going to leave you alone in my apartment? Yeah, right." Alec laughed slightly at them, wondering if they'd ever get along.

"What if Clary was with me?" Jace asked, as the three of them exited the elevator, Magnus letting out a loud sigh, obviously done with being Jace's guardian. "Still doesn't change the fact that I won't be there and neither will Alec," Magnus said, opening the door and throwing his coat on the peg, falling on the sofa.

Jace whined, "Magnus, please! You and Alec need alone time, and I need alone time with Clary. I can't believe you're denying me a free apartment, when most teenagers would pay for that shit."

Magnus gave him a look, "I promised to look after you because you're my boyfriend's brother, I never promised to sacrifice my apartment so that you can get your dick wet." Alec raised his eyebrows at them both, bursting out laughing a few seconds later. Magnus was the biggest savage to Jace, and Alec loved it. Jace wasn't used to that kind of competition.

"Fine then, I'll just come with you on your date." Jace said, his tone now annoyed. Alec then spoke, "Magnus, maybe you should just let him." Magnus looked at Alec like he was a lunatic, though let him continue. "Jace definitely is not coming on a date with us, and he'll be fine if Clary's here. He has his phone to contact us, if anything does happen."

Magnus thought for a second, looking between Alec's kind expression and Jace's desperate one. He eventually rolled his eyes and sighed, "Fine, but if anything is broken or you've used all of my condoms you're dead." Jace's eyes widened, before he laughed slightly at Magnus' choice of words.

Going on a date with Magnus definitely helped to reduce Alec's stress levels, he realised even when they just entered the car. "Where are we going, then?" Alec asked, glad that their date was distracting him from all of his other problems.

"A bar, not too far away." Magnus said, his eyes staying focused on the road. Alec didn't really expect that answer, but he trusted Magnus that it would be fun. He hadn't drank alcohol since the night at the club, where he got completely off his head, and had the world's worst hangover afterwards.