chapter fourteen

Alec pushed his eyes open to slits, fluttering them open fully a few moments later, when he found the strength. He saw bare walls that looked to be crumbling, the wallpaper peeling and stains scattering them.

Looking up to see a single light bulb swinging above his head, Alec started to panic. He pulled at his arms to get up, but found his wrists were bound behind his back. The memory of Sebastian and what happened at the party started flooding back to him, and he wondered how long he had been out of it for.

Even though he knew there was tape over his mouth, he screamed for help. Alec got frustrated and the feeling of panic grew; he was scared he would die. He shut his eyes and took a deep breath in. 

The first thing that came to mind was Magnus. He thought of the Christmas they'd just spent together, and kept repeating to himself how he would be there next Christmas with Magnus. They would have two dogs and were going to live in their own house. It was going to be fine.

Alec jumped as the door swung open, his eyes opening quickly, seeing that same sinister grin. "Morning, sunshine." Sebastian said cheerily, walking over and ripping the tape off his mouth, Alec cringing at the slight pain.

Sebastian could see that Alec was terrified by how pale his face was, and how he said nothing at all. "What did you do to Jace?" Alec asked first, knowing that he would never forgive himself if he didn't ask for his brother.

 "He's . . . busy at the moment. You'll have to check in later," Sebastian said, Alec feeling repulsed at how light he was talking about the situation. Alec's voice shook, "Why are you doing this to me?"

Sebastian started, "Usually a psycho has a motive," pulling a machete out from behind him. "Jace — your brother, well not really your brother. Not really my brother either, technically. Although, if I'm not wrong, he lived with me and my father for seven years. When my father was accused of domestic abuse, Jace was taken away. My best friend. Taken from me, straight to you and your cute, little, dysfunctional family."

He continued, "So, when I found out that Jace had moved here, I did some researching. I knew you were gay, so started to become friends with the dreamy boy next door for bait; Magnus. I told him to get the job at your favourite cafe, where I knew you two would meet and eventually go out. I've been planning this exact moment for years, Alexander Lightwood."

Alec felt tears well up in his eyes and the worry dawning down on him, "That wasn't my fault! I didn't know any of that, I was always told Jace was an orphan by my parents. Please, believe me." 

A flicker of anger showed on Sebastian's face, as he lunged forward and brought the machete down on Alec's thigh. Alec screamed out in pain and horror, looking as the blood trickled down his leg. Sebastian retracted the blade, Alec beginning to sob, his loud cries of pain continuing.

Not looking satisfied enough, Sebastian started to drag the tip of the blade down Alec's face, leaving an ongoing stream of blood starting to drip down Alec's features, cutting the side of his lip and then taking the blade away.

Alec never thought he could feel pain like this, and he could only hope that wherever Jace was and what was happening to him, it wasn't like this for him. Sebastian left after a few moments, slamming the door behind him. 

Leaving Alec to whimper and cry, Alec tried to think about how long humans can survive with an open wound that he couldn't treat or apply pressure to. It just kept bleeding, and Alec couldn't do anything about it.

A few hours passed and Alec heard nothing, feeling like he was about to pass out. When the door opened again, he didn't know what to expect. He certainly wasn't expecting to see who he saw. If there wasn't tape over Magnus' mouth, he would have said something reassuring to Alec. Or maybe he wouldn't have.