chapter thirteen

Christmas reminded Alec how much family meant and how lucky he was to be surrounded by such wonderful people. New Years was around the corner and he knew it would be just as good, if not better. Isabelle was throwing a party at her apartment, and apparently half of Brooklyn was scheduled to show up.

Alec and Magnus woke up on New Year's Eve to a loud knocking on the door, both of them looking at each other in confusion. Magnus left the warm bed and tread out the door and towards the front door, Alec sitting up and covering his bare chest with their covers, a look of worry laced into his features.

Magnus approached the door carefully, looking through the peephole and sighing in relief. "It's just Sebastian!" Magnus laughed, Alec feeling his shoulders slump back to their normal place. 

 "Long time, no see." Sebastian grinned after Magnus opened the door, dropping his large bag and wrapping Magnus in a bear hug, even though Magnus was stood there in just boxers. Magnus giggled in ecstasy as he hugged his life-long friend, almost forgetting that he was due back today from his holiday with his girlfriend.

Alec emerged from the room with a smile, greeting Sebastian, surprised when Sebastian hugged him too. The three of them sat on the sofa and started to discuss what Sebastian had got up to on his trip, to which he replied pretty vaguely.

 "I'm guessing you guys had fun," Sebastian said, both of them looking at each other and then nodding. "Lots of things happened while you were gone," Magnus stated, then mentioning to Sebastian about how Alec and him were looking for houses to move into.

At first, he seemed shocked, but understood. Sebastian also said he wanted to ask his girlfriend to move in anyway, and just because they were roommates didn't mean they couldn't see each other.

Alec said, "We're going to my siblings' New Years party tonight, you can come if you'd like? They're all very nice people, I'm sure you'd get along with them." Sebastian kindly agreed, moaning that he hadn't been to a party in ages and how it would be nice to finally interact with people other than his girlfriend, in a nice way obviously.

Magnus hadn't been to a party since he was in college, although still hadn't lost his attitude towards the social events. In college, he would go to a party one night and get absolutely wasted, then wake up and go to a lecture, then in the evening party out the hangover. He was that type of student.

He took a course to be a doctor in his father's footsteps, although dropped out due to stress after his second year. It made him extremely unhappy and he realised he'd rather be broke than sad.

On the other hand, Alec hadn't been to a party in just a little bit under a year, when he was still in high school. The few parties he did go to, he got completely smashed and always ended up in bed with a random guy. He was a slutty drunk, what could he say?

When the evening started, Alec and Magnus both looked pretty good. They looked fresher than normal, and both wore different colognes that somehow complimented each other. "If you guys go ahead, I'll come later. Text me the address." Sebastian told them both, Magnus saying that he would before Alec and him left the apartment. 

The two of them arrived after Magnus drove them both there, Magnus holding an umbrella up to shield the snow from falling on him or Alec. Clary opened the door, wearing her hair straightened and a dress that just about covered her, also looking significantly tall in a pair of heels.

 "You look grown up," Magnus said as the two of them walked in, noticing that no one was here yet except for the people that lived there. "Thanks, you two look nice." Clary smiled, continuing to help Maia set up the alcohol on the table.

Magnus and Alec headed towards where Jace and Isabelle were sat, both laughing and discussing something. "I invited my roommate, if that's okay? He said he'll come later," Magnus asked both of them, the two of them shrugging and saying the bigger the party the better.