XI

Callie's P.O.V.

As if I were part of a mirage, the Sunday that brought this happiness, it vanished.

The smile that was on my face as Nathan and his mother argued over what's for dinner, the serenity in the air, even the pain that was still bothering my throat after five days... it was all gone in an instant.

"Get out!"

I didn't stand, I didn't even turn around to see who just stormed into the house like a hurricane.

I could hear my mother screaming at Colton. My father would've murdered him but he went home to get a few things, including Serena.

One minute I'm laughing at Nathan, the next I'm screaming as Nathan punches Colton in the face.

"Stop Nathan! You'll kill him!" I screamed, not caring about the pain in my throat.

My ribs begged me to sit back down, or at least get off of Nathan's back.

Nathan stiffened under me, his fist stopped mid-air, I actually thought maybe it was over. I thought it was over in that moment at least, but next, comes Keith.

Nathan sets me down near the kitchen door, not phased when he hears his brother's profanities in the background.

His eyes poured back into mine, the small gash in his lip was dripping blood but the already maroon bruise under his cheek bone was the thing that got my attention.

Colton may have gotten in a few punches but Nathan did far more damage to him.

"I can't believe he showed up here," Nathan mumbled, clenching and unclenching his jaw.

I could see Keith escorting Colton's limp body toward the door, his mother following.

"Your mom called the cops, they should be here soon," Nathan said, turning his back to me and walking toward the front door.

"Where are you going?" I asked, stepping forward after him.

"I'm gonna make sure that he can't get away from my brother," Nathan said, glancing over his shoulder at me.

I reached up, letting my hand catch his shoulder. A searing pain coursed through my side, causing me to double over.

I sucked in a breath, trying to refrain from screaming again.

"Whoa," Nathan said, bending down to my level.

I looked up, watching his eyes fill with concern, all traces of anger melting away from his face.

"I knew I shouldn't have jumped on your back," I mumbled, biting my lip softly so I don't re-open the gash.

The bruises on my face were a lighter shade of maroon now, they were mainly gray and pink actually.

The bruise that wrapped around my throat remained, but the individual finger marks were no longer visible.

Nathan didn't bother asking as he scooped me up into his arms. He carried me into the living room and laid me down on the couch.

"Let's see," He mumbled, motioning at me to lift my shirt up.

The shirt I was wearing was my mom's, seeing at how I didn't pack any really baggy shirts that wouldn't show the fact that I still wasn't wearing a bra.

I lifted up the soft grey fabric, my eyes going wide at the new marks on my ribs.

"I don't know, Callie. You may have to see a doctor about this," He mumbled, his hand touching the skin beside my ribs.