XIX

Nathan's P.O.V.   (FLASHBACK)

It didn't feel right, leaving her there by herself that is. 

I stepped down off of the train and onto the platform, people swarming around me. 

The train stops for ten minutes every time it stops except when it refuels. If I was to get back on the train, it would have to be before the ten minutes is up. 

Should I go home, though? 

That's the next stop. 

Home.

My family and where I grew up, that's the next stop. 

The next stop is my past, my mistakes, my memories... not all of those are good. 

"Oh, brother," I mumbled, my mind wandering back to Callie. 

She's probably sitting alone, her ribs aching, her heart still racing, I can't leave her behind. 

I told myself I would take care of her, so I will. 

I turned around, pushing back through the crowd toward the train, toward her.

As I reached the train door, my hand feet stopped, sticking to the ground where I was. 

I can't move, I can't go home. 

My heart raced as I made my feet move. 

I have to go home, even if that means swallowing my pride and taking the first step to healing old relationships and ignore the pain of my past. 

"Excuse me are you boarding?" 

I looked up, faced with the question I'd been asking myself for about five minutes now.

"I think so, yeah," I mumbled, smiling at the old lady and helping her onto the train. 

"Thank you, son. Not many people have manners anymore," She said, smiling back at me as I lifted her bag onto the train. 

I followed the lady back into the train, spotting the blonde headed girl a few feet away. 

She didn't see me for a long time, she just sat there holding her hands close to her body, wincing every time she bent down to pick her bag up for people walking through. 

I took a few steps toward her, my heart racing at the sight of her so lonely. 

"Hi, stranger."

She glanced up at me now, smiling before scooting back over so I could sit down beside her, where I'm supposed to be. 

"Nate," She mumbled, "I thought you got off back there."

The train pulled away from the stop, the trees outside passing faster and faster until it was all one big blur. I let my mind drift to my hometown, my family. I realized I left Callie hanging, coming up with no answer I decided the truth worked fine. 

"I thought so too, but I didn't want to leave you all alone," I said, leaning back against the hard seats. 

She seemed too lost in her own thought to realize what I said, but glanced at me once she did. 

Her face tinted pink as a sheepish smile formed. 

"I was a little lonely."

I smiled. 

That's all you can do when a girl like Callie smiles at you, smile back. 

The train speakers blared, sending Callie's hands over her ears. 

I didn't listen to much of what the speaker said, my focus on Callie. 

She's cute.

The speakers stopped, yet Callie still held her hands over her ears, trying to hide from the scratching in the speakers.  

"She's done talking," I said, nudging her side softly. 

She winced as she stretched out, her ribs probably on fire. 

"What'd she say?" She asked, glancing at me as she picked her bag up. 

"Should've listened..." I joked, watching her eyes light up.

It feels like we've known each other forever, like we've been friends since we were kids.

"Come on, Nate. tell me what she said."

I acted like I was thinking about it, really just thinking about where we should get food. 

"Fine, she said that we are going to be stopping up here, in Fort Worth. If we want to get off and get lunch, now's the time," I mumbled, standing from the hard and uncomfortable seats.

I looked down at her, watching her contemplate things in her mind. 

"Well, are you coming?" I asked, holding my hand out for her. 

I could see the gears turning in her mind. Soon enough she set her hand in mine. 

"So, where are we going?" She asked, tossing her duffel over her shoulder. 

I could see the regret in her eyes when she winced, I wanted nothing more than to ease her pain but I couldn't. 

"Esperanza's," I mumbled, letting out a deep breath as we stepped down onto the platform. 

My mind wandered to my best friend, the one who helped me through my childhood and stuck with me. 

Max.

"We gotta take a taxi," I mumbled, stepping out toward the road. 

I flagged down a taxi, glancing back at her as she looked around nervously. 

I opened the door for her, helping her in. 

"Where to?" The driver asked, glancing to the back seat at us. 

"Esperanza's, please," I mumbled, closing the door behind us as I slid into the seat next to her. 

The car was small and red. It smelled vaguely of cigarette smoke. 

"The ride will only take like, fifteen minutes, I promise."

I leaned back over to my seat, smiling when Callie leaned over to tell me something. 

"Thank goodness."

I watched her lean back to her side, her close proximity sending chills down my spine. 

I could tell that she was deep in her thoughts, swept away by whatever worried her. 

I raked my hand through my hair, ignoring the pull to talk to her. Everything in me wanted to scoot closer to her, wrap my arm around her, tell her everything will be okay. I can't though, I can't get too close to her, I just met her for goodness sake. 

I literally met this girl earlier today, I met her because I helped her out from a risky situation. For all I know she could be crazy, she could be insane but to be honest, I really don't care. 

She needed my help, she still does, not to mention the fact that I know she isn't insane. 

I can tell. 

And if she is somehow insane, I guess I could learn to deal with it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A//N

I know, I know, short chapter again. 

Sorry, I'm getting everything lined up, it's getting there. 

Love to my readers.