XVI

The alarm ringing in my ears isn't the only thing that annoys me. 

The fact that it's ringing in my ears at 1:55 A.M. is also a contributing factor. 

The only thing that trumps these to is the fact that Nathan hasn't even called yet. 

I dialed his number, listening to it ring before his voicemail sounded in my ear. 

"He should be home," I mumbled, rubbing any sleep left from my eyes. 

I dialed his number again, listening to his voicemail for the second time. 

A third. 

A fourth, even. 

I scrolled through my contacts, my finger landing on Keith's. 

"Pick up.." I mumbled, panic coursing through my veins at the thought of losing Nathan. 

"Hello?" He answered, his voice hoarse and raspy. 

"Hey, sorry to call so late, I was just checking to make sure Nathan made it home," I said, trying to make my voice sound as calm as possible. 

 He took a deep breath, shuffling coming through from the background. 

"His truck's not in the driveway."

My heart physically skipped a beat as the words left his lips. 

"Are you sure? I mean, he left like two hours ago where could he be?" I asked, my heart beating so fast I figured it would explode any second. 

"I don't know. When Nathan gets tired he finds a hotel or something to sleep at, maybe he just stopped to rest. He's fine, Callie. If he said he'd call you, he'll call."

And with that, he hung up.

I sighed, he is probably right. 

Nathan is the most responsible person I know, he most likely just stopped somewhere. 

I dialed his number, listening to the ringing for a few seconds before I got his voicemail. 

"Hey, Nate. I just thought I'd call and see if you made it home yet. Apparently not, I hope where ever you are, it's safe. Please call me soon, bye."

I hung up the phone, setting it on the bedside table and dragging my feet to my bedroom door. I opened it, surprised to see the hallway light was on. 

"Mom? Dad?" 

I walked around the corner, glancing around for any sign of my parents. 

I couldn't spot them but kept walking until I was in the kitchen. 

I grabbed a glass from the cabinet, fixing myself a glass of water before heading back to my bedroom. 

I glanced at my phone, the screen lighting up as it vibrated on the table. 

It didn't have a caller ID, so I picked it up, answering quickly before I missed it. 

"Hello?" 

"Callie, hey. Sorry, Babe. I am calling from a hotel phone. I was gonna call you as soon as I got here and finished checking in but my phone died. I hope you weren't worried."

It was clear that I was talking to Nathan, his hoarse voice told me he was tired. 

"No, that's fine. I was worried but now I'm good. Thanks for calling me, I might have blown your phone up..." I mumbled, a bit embarrassed. 

"Don't worry about it, I should've texted you and told you my plans before my phone died. I'm sorry I worried you," He said. 

I laid down on my bed, my heart finally beating at a regular pace again.