VII

Callie's hair blew in the wind behind her, the sunset seeming so far away.

Nathan wasn't far behind her, riding a good distance behind her, though.

"Whoa!" Callie called, halting the horse.

Nathan did the same, both of them getting off for a second.

"You okay?" Nathan asked.

"Yeah. Ever since my phone call with my dad two days ago, I haven't felt like staying here. I know it seems rude, but I just... I'm scared Colton is just gonna show up. I don't want him to show up," She mumbled, finally telling Nathan what had been bothering her for days.

"Callie... that doesn't make you rude. I would probably feel the same way if I thought my dad could-"

Nathan stopped, realizing what he almost said.

"Never mind, let's head back," Nathan said, pulling himself back into the saddle.

"Wait, Nathan!" She yelled, climbing back into her saddle.

Nathan had already begun his ride back, a solid run back to the barn would take five minutes.

"Nathan, wait up!" Callie yelled to him, hoping he could hear her.

"His dad?" She wondered, connecting all of the dots.

As Callie caught up to Nathan, she stopped in front of him, causing him to stop as well.

"Callie... Can we please just get back?" Nathan pleaded, his eyes showing how upset he truly was.

His emerald eyes poured into hers and for a second she forgot about what he'd said.

For a second.

"What were you saying... about your dad?" She asked, hoping he wouldn't snap at her.

"Nothing. It slipped, I didn't want you to know," He said, running one hand through his hair while the other remained tightly wrapped around the horse's reins.

"Fine, you don't have to tell me. At least, not until you are ready," She said, giving him a small smile.

"Thank you," He mumbled, flooding with relief.

He didn't want to tell her about his abusive dad, he wasn't ready to.

They rode back to the barn in silence, only smiling at each other every now and then. The sun was completely set by the time they reached the huge barn. The lights were on but Keith was asleep upstairs, so they tried to be quiet.

"I'll get both of them, you can go ahead and get ready for bed. Mom will probably be mad if I keep putting you on a horse so late at night. She'll be back home by ten tonight, remember. Conference call at work," Nate mumbled, taking a step closer to Callie.

He stood behind her, reaching his arm around her to undo the strap on the saddle.

She could feel his breath on her neck, sending shivers down her spine. She slowly turned around, trying to hide the blush on her cheeks as she silently mumbled, "ok."

As she neared the barn door, she turned around to look at Nate, who was already looking at her.

"Nate?" She said, gaining his attention.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for... everything," She said, smiling at him before heading inside.

She didn't think anything of the new black truck in the drive way.

"Probably Keith's," She thought.

The night was warm, but not hot. She stepped inside from the humid air, feeling the cold air suck her in further.

She thought about taking a bath but decided to put it off until the morning.

She pulled off her dusty riding clothes, which consisted of the only pair of jeans she brought and a shirt Nate gave to her.

"Knock knock."

Callie turned around, expecting to see Nate.

Instead, she was much more afraid than she'd like to admit.

"What're you doing here? Who let you in?" She asked, stepping backward towards the sliding door.

"That idiot, Keith. I told him I was your boyfriend and he just rambled about how cool you were," Colton said, shutting and locking the door behind him.

Callie thought for a second...

"Keith usually is in bed by now..."

"You need to leave, Colton. I'll-"

"Call the cops? Go ahead. Try and call the cops, baby, I dare you," Colton hissed, smirking as he stepped closer to her.

"Colton, get the hell away from me!" She yelled, throwing her bag at him as she tried to dash for the door.

She swung the door open but before she could take a step out she was pulled back in.

She landed on the floor with a thud, watching Colton leave the open door and return his attention to her.

"Listen, I don't like being threatened, your cowboy shouldn't have done that. Now, you'll have to pay for his threats," Colton said, sending a solid kick to her ribs.

She let out a scream, which was quickly covered for her gasping for her breath. She thought that surely Nancy could hear her, even from the other side of the house.

Then she remembered..."Conference call at work."

Callie tried to get to her feet, wheezing as Colton brought his fist across her cheek.

She hit the floor again, trying to ignore the terrible pain she was too used to.

"Colton... stop," She pleaded, trying to catch her breath.

"You left me!" He yelled, hitting her across the face again.

This time, he hit her nose.

She watched the blood drip onto the floor as she tried to lift her head from the cold wooden ground.

He grabbed her hand, dragging her to the wall. He held both hands above her, being several inches shorter than him was no advantage.

"Colton, please. I'll go back with you, just stop!" She pleaded, praying for someone to save her, Nathan, Keith, anyone...

"Shut up!" He said, hitting her other cheek.

He brought his hand back again, bringing it down on her stomach this time. She doubled over, gasping and coughing.

She shouldn't be so surprised by this, no one has ever saved her before, why would anyone save her now?

Colton pushing her back on the floor, hovering over her. He brought his fist down again, this time across her jaw, then she was spitting blood.

Colton finally stood up, she thought he was done.

"Don't think I'm done with you. You will always be mine," He said, pulling his shirt over his head.

"No, Colton. Stop!" She screamed, hoping he wouldn't do the one thing she couldn't bare.

"Shut up!" He said, punching her one last time.

This time, she knew what would happen, she knew because it's happened so many times before.

As he unbuttoned her jeans, she let herself slip into the darkness that has taken her away, defenseless, too many times before.

--------------------------------------------------

A//N

I know this chapter was a little bit violent and brutal, but that's the point.

I hope you still enjoyed, even if it was a very depressing chapter for Callie.

Thanks so much, please vote and comment.