Part 66

You're still trying to will yourself to unbuckle and get out of the driver's seat when Tom slams the passenger side door. It's jarring enough to make you jump within the confines of your seatbelt. It does get you moving, at least. You gather your purse from the floorboards, testing your limbs as you exit the vehicle. Your knees feel a little weak as you stand and you know it isn't really the result of the length of time you've been sitting. You stare at the house for a moment, wishing you could rewind the past few hours – just far enough back to loose the bombshell that just went off any other place than the driveway of your mother's house. On second though... a few hours probably wouldn't help. Maybe a few days would be better.

The backseat to the rental squeaks, pulling your attention from the house. When you sneak a glance at him, Tom is bent retrieving the pair of bags from the back of the car. Regarding first meetings, things are not going well. He met your father just after a confrontation with your then-stalker, and now he is meeting your mother and stepfather while he's trying to adjust to the fact that you've kept yet another secret from him...

Why didn't you tell him sooner that you had step-siblings that would sooner say down is up and lemons are sweet than claim you as family? What had he said before going silent? Everyone has a bit of drama in their family? Does the term 'drama' even apply when someone tells you point blank they don't want you to acknowledge their existence, that they'll never acknowledge you?

Family is pouring out of the house at an alarming rate. Your luck, something will be said to cause chaos to erupt out here on the lawn for all the world to see. Your mother and stepfather lead the parade, your stepbrothers Joel and Reggie following close on their father's heels. You watch them with apprehension, casting out a desperate prayer that they won't introduce themselves to Tom by saying something asinine. Thankfully the pair veer off towards the cards parked in front of the garage. There, one small breath can be allowed. Other than the stepbrother complication, have you at least listed out a basic family tree for Tom to follow?

Mother. Stepfather. Grandmother... That can hardly account for all the cars out front. Already shell shocked, all you can do is blink when your great-aunt Abby swans out of the house along with the rest. She hasn't attended a family function in years.

Again you look to Tom. With his own bag thrown over his shoulder, he has your small bag clenched tightly by the handles. It doesn't escape you that in holding it in his left hand, he's effectively blocking you from getting too close to him. A high pitched squeal from within the house pulls your attention back to the two story structure. It's just enough warning to be able to witness a pixie-haired blonde careen out the front door: Joel's daughter, Katie, who you've only seen in photographs.

Joel starts to call her to him but your stepfather talks over him, acting as a magnet for the little blonde. He presses his hand against the back of her head as he speaks to her, his eyes drifting from her to you. "Kate! This is your Aunt. The photos we were looking at this morning?"

They were going through photo albums this morning? She looks unsure for a moment, long enough to make you sure that this is the Thanksgiving that will kill you, but then she grins – dimples blooming in her rounded cheeks – and lurches forward into another sprint. You have time enough to drop your purse from the death grip you have on it and crouch down, plenty of time to catch the little girl in your arms and receive one hell of a hug.

Maybe this Thanksgiving won't kill you after all. Or rather, it will, but in a good way.

"I just got my hair cut, Auntie." Katie speaks in a matter-of-fact tone as she pulls away and spins to give you a three-sixty view.

You can't help but smile at her even as tears start to form in your eyes. It wouldn't have come as a surprise if she had followed her father's example in her treatment of you. You were still shy and hiding behind your mother when you were Katie's age. "I - I love it, Katie. You look very grown up."