Part 83

YOJA - 83

YOJA - 83

It's been a month and – a month and a half, if your count is correct, since you've seen him. His busted lip has healed, and though you quickly try to seek them out you can find no evidence of the bruises that had resulted from the Thanksgiving spent at your mother's – of the fight with your stepbrother on your mother's front lawn. His eyes are still impossibly blue. His hair is a little longer than you remember, product used to hold it mostly in submission... but his curls will not entirely be tamed. And then there's the beard. Definitely new. Is this look for a role? The subsequent sharp strike to your heart, simply because you don't know, drives you to speak again. You barely catch yourself before repeating his name.

"Hi."

Alright. You've mastered first his name, and now a standard greeting. But is he going to speak in return? Is this one of those moments: if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all? He was smiling at you. Still is. It had been the very thing that had thrown you into motion.

Hope.

Hope that he doesn't hate you. Hope that he still feels –

"I, um." You can't quite pull your focus away from his face. He's always looked fabulous tucked into a suit. Tonight? Well, at the moment it hardly matters, though you're sure to relieve this moment repeatedly in your head, later. Blue. You're pretty sure he's wearing something that's a deep blue. "You look good."

He doesn't seem to be battling the same problem you are. His eyes dip down in a quick appreciation of your dress as he nods in acknowledgement of your complement. "And you, as well."

There. There's the smallest crinkle to the region between his eyebrows. The lightest of frowns that overwhelms the expression he'd plastered on. But then the momentary wrinkle clears away and he's smiling again... or is that simply the Public Persona sliding back into place? You used to easily be able to tell the difference. Now it feels more like a guessing game.

Is this just a dance between two singed lovers, each proving that they can survive proximity to the other? No. That's not what this is. Can't be. At least, not for you. No, definitely not for you.