Obsession

MacKenzie almost felt himself asleep in his dressing room chair- either the show had gone on incredibly long or that was all the stress catching up with him- when there was a flurry of knocks outside. "Hrrm?" He sat up completely and adjusted his glasses.

"Present delivery, Mr. Bourg."

Mister, when the guy sounded probably his age. MacKenzie got up on careful feet and looked through the peephole to see one of the backstage people who had also been milling about beforehand, some smiling bleach-blond fella. No danger there. MacKenzie opened the door to let him in.

Crew pass flapping with every step, the guy bounded in with a box overflowing with the typical pile of fan gifts, including those damn bouquets. "Man, you sure do get a lot of roses."

Mack smiled in resignation and ran a hand over his hair. "Well, it is my signature song."

"Yeah. You didn't play it til really late in the set list, though," the guy said as he sat up a teddy bear threatening to topple out of the box.

"Some nights I just don't play it at all..." And some people were really upset about that, he mused on but said nothing. Only a few in the inner management circle knew about the situation at this point so as not to stir up a big media ire and possibly piss off the loon (loons?) into doing something dangerous. Why would a random crew guy want to hear him spill his guts about an obsessed fan anyway?

The guy's smile disappeared for a flash but came back when it appeared the box was tidied. "Well, that looks like everything. Have a good night!" He flashed a peace sign and bounded out, crew pass flapping again.

"Thanks..." MacKenzie let his gaze linger for a moment before the guy shut the door behind him. Kinda spacey, but decent eye candy at least.

With a sigh he began sorting through the array of flowers and plushies (keeping an eye out for notes). He wished his fans wouldn't spend their money like this; most of the stuff ended up going to the local hospital on his way out. But he supposed it was the thought that counted, even if some thought too much.

Lying under the teddy bear the guy had straightened up was what MacKenzie thought a rose gone loose from a bouquet, but upon touching it he saw it was carved from wood. "Well, least that's original," he said out loud as he twirled it about in his fingers. And it was painted realistically, a near-black bottom sweeping up into maroon petals.

He was so distracted by the craftsmanship it took him a minute to notice the little paper that'd been sitting with it.

A sickening sensation hit his stomach and throat as he picked up the note even if common sense screamed not to.

My darling MacKenzie,
I was so worried they weren't going to let you sing our song tonight. I would have lost my mind if I thought they were still keeping you from me. But we know better than that, don't we? We're made for each other, my love. It won't be long now.
You're even more beautiful up close.

MacKenzie dropped the paper with a huff. Typical delusional rubbish-

You didn't play it til really late in the set list, though.

You're even more beautiful up close.

"Oh, shit," he paled over in sudden realization.