Last kiss

[[AN: prequel to the Vampire AU in the first chapter]]

***

Dalton was awoken from his light sleep to rustles beside him on the mattress, and rolled over to see MacKenzie sitting up and getting back into his clothes. His whimper must have been audible, because MacKenzie just said, "You better get dressed too, they'll be here soon."

Dalton only made the moves to sit up and clutch the sheets closer to his bared skin. One of these days he knew the scent of what they'd just shared would no longer linger on the material, and he also knew that would be the saddest day of his...

Well, he wouldn't exactly be able to call it life.

Mack turned around, and instead of being cranky at his boyfriend for dawdling he leaned close for a gentle hug. Dalton took another inhale of the scents of sweat and passion and whimpered again.

"I know, babe, I know," MacKenzie whispered and stroked his hair.

"Really gonna miss this part..."

"'Least we can still kiss and touch, Dalt. We'll find our way around it, even if we gotta use toys or something."

Even through his sorrow at knowledge of the inevitable, Dalton felt himself smirk at that. "Always the practical one."

"You darn right," Mack said in all tenderness and kissed his temple. "You remember why we're doing this, right?"

"So we can live forever," the young man recited in a bland rote even if the prospect was anything but.

"Uh huh. I won't have to worry about my heart giving out again, and you'll feel so much stronger with all the demons out of your head-"

"To trade for being a demon of the night." Dalton pulled his discarded clothes towards himself but made no move to put them on just yet.

MacKenzie chuckled. "It's not like that, Dalt, they've been telling me. We can still be in the sunlight long as we're careful, and we don't have to kill anyone when we feed."

Dalton turned his arms for his wrists to face outwards, pale blue veins running under even paler skin with faded scars. He'd gotten used to the sight of blood enough it never fazed him anymore, but save for a few fisticuffs that resulted in injured noses he hadn't intentionally made anyone else bleed. Now that was going to be the way they survived.

"And we'll still be able to sing?"

"Why not? Stick around long enough for a few hit singles, drop underground when people start getting suspicious of why we're not aging, pop back up a few years later and hypnotize the public with a new image. We could literally make history."

Well, he had wanted to change people with his music.

Dalton lazily shrugged back into his pants and burrowed back into his lover's embrace. "At least we're doing this together. Forever wouldn't be worth it without you."

MacKenzie's only answer was the familiar smooth and loving touch upon his lips, and Dalton was only a little surprised to feel the kiss stained with silent tears.